Off Roading Forums banner

breathing new life into old rear springs...

346 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
#1 ·
ive noticed lately that my rear springs have begun to sag significantly... i cant afford to get new lifted ones (although i will someday), so for now im looking for a cheap easy way to get about an inch of lift out of my old ones... am i correct in saying that front cj springs will fit the rear of a zook? im thinking of mixing and matching untill i find a good combination, but it would be helpful if any of you out there have already done this and can give me some pointers as to which leaves to use...

thanks

Steve
'88 Suzuki Samurai
2" S/R 30x9.50 M/T's
bassmstr99@aol.com
Texas A&M Off-Road
FTAC of 2003

#2 ·
Hey Steve,

First, I don't think CJ springs will fitt as they are a 'lil longer than stock. You could do it if you added ML's but they cost a bit and they could take a while to get.

Suggestions:

Add-a-leaf approach: Makes your ride real stiff, but gets you what you need. I don't recommend them.

Re-arch springs approach: Could bring your springs to a spring shop and have them re-arched. Relatively cheap, but hard to find a shop. Besides, they don't last as long as new.

Do-nothing approach: This means you have plenty of time to go wheeling instead of wrenching. Gives you plenty of time to save up for new springs!

Scrounge approach: scour the yards and you just might find a cheap set of decent springs.

Robin Hood approach: One could dress up in black BDU's and swipe some off another rig, but that comes with inherent dangers. Beware of the Sheriff of Nottingham!

Steve, I recommend the scrounge or do-nothing approach. Remember, think long term. You could waste $50 or so now on something you really don't want or save up until you can get what you want and be happy with. Then there is the possibility of getting a new credit card and...

Keep the faith,

Yankee Tim

G
#3 ·
A good swap is to put your rear springs up front, and CJ springs in the rear. There is some modification necessary due to the extra length of the springs, but you get better flex and a softer ride.

If you don't want to mess with that kind of modification at this point, just use your main rear leaf with some CJ leafs.

The '76-'86 CJ "front" leafs are 2" wide (same as a Samurai), and the whole pack is about 43" long. Stock Samurai is about 40" long. The CJ leafs came in various configurations as far as number and thickness of leafs. I prefer the older 7 leaf packs. More/thinner leafs are better than less/thicker for flex and ride comfort.

I wire wheel, sand with a angle grinder, and paint with Hammerite when rebuilding springs. Use new "rubber" bushings for the best flex and ride characteristics or Poly for long life and handling.

jo-jo
http://island4x4.com/ Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada...eh!

G
#4 ·
CJ springs are longer and will require modified mounting, or something like the missing link.

Another option might be something like the National Add A Leafs we have. They are designed to make a springset into a heavy duty one. They'll also help pep up a sagged out set of springs.

Hardcore Suzuki products for hardcore enthusiasts.
http://www.rocky-road.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.