Off Roading Forums banner

Oil Sludge on Stock Air Filter

1K views 5 replies 1 participant last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
#1 ·
Yo Sammi Owners;
I service my '88 stock Sammi regularly. It runs strong, does not burn oil and I rarely rev past 4,000 rpm. Whenever I replace the air filter inside it's black round container, there is some oil sludge on the engine side of the filter. PCV valve is also replaced regularly and all hoses from crankcase are free of any blockage. Engine has 125K miles.
Any comments appreciated. Thanx

LeeClark

G
#2 ·
Hose from crank case to filter housing is open. Hose from pvc valve to hose T is blocked. That is my first guess. Providing the pvc valve is good then have high oil level on top of the head because of blocked (sluge) oil drain passage. Is my next guess.

G
#3 ·
If it is because of sluge cloged head oil drains I would guess the engine wasn't warming up enough. Wrong or bad theromstat, no exhaust preheat hose, and when it is really cold you have to block part of the radiator to get the engine to operating tempature.

#4 ·
Yo Click;
Thanx for responding.
The engine is well-maintained. 180 degree Thermostat was replaced in March/ the exhaust pre-heat hose is on and working fine and the engine has NEVER had trouble reaching proper operating temperature. PCV valve is about 1 year old. Water pump is brand new. All hoses are unblocked, free and clear.

What's the best way to remove internal sludge from engine without dis-assembling the engine?

There is not much sludge, but there should not be any.

LeeClark

G
#6 ·
It seems like everybody makes a oil additive to clean up sludge. I don't know that one is better than another. That and some low mile oil changes should do the trick. First I would pull the valve cover and probe the oil drains with a brass braising rod (the kind without flux) which should clear a plugged drain. Sludge build up should be visible on top of the head so you can see if there is a problem. As stated in another post white deposits under oil fill cap is a problem indicator.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.