tires with shackle reversal? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2000, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

tires with shackle reversal?

im getting ready to install a calmini 2" shackle reversal on my samurai ('88), and im wondering what tires i should run
im thinking about BFG M/T 30X9.50
anyone ever had any problems with running tires this size with the shackle reversal?
another question - has anyone run 3" shackles on the rear? what kind of implications can i expect by running these?

thanks

Steve
'88 Suzuki Samurai
[email protected]
Texas A&M Off-Road
FTAC of 2003
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2000, 08:08 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: tires with shackle reversal?

I have the Calmini 5"er now, but ran the 2" S/R for a while before adding the 3" springs. For all practical purposes, you shouldn't run anything larger than 235's (29") or you'll rub the rear of the fender well on the front tires, especially on compression. You could add a 2" body lift to fix this problem.

My suggestion is to get the 3" springs as soon as possible. The stock front springs are flat, and possibly negatively arched due to age/use. Without going into the dull details of why, you need positively arched springs to really make a S/R work right. Calmini states that you can run 31's on the full 5", but I've found that even with my additional 2" body lift and massaging the wheel wells with a mallet, I can plow my 31's into the rear of the front wheel well when I'm really twisted.

The front really compresses/droops nicely once the springs are played with and break-in, but the rear leaves a little to desire, even with the new "boomerang" shackles. To make the most out of the rears, I suggest using revolvers (pricey), expanders (much cheaper) or some kind of "hyper"-shackle, or your RTI score will be compromised.

If you need some more suggestions on how to get the most out of you Calmini set-up, drop me a line. I've got several workable tips. Don't be distracted by all the smack people say about the Calmini S/R. It's a fine set-up, and it's road charateristics are beyond approach. IMHO, it is the best set-up for improving ride quality based on my comparisons in riding in rigs with different set-ups.

However, if your looking for sick flex and a platform that you can continually modify, best to go with a SPOA.

Yankee Tim
[email protected]

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2000, 05:56 PM

Yankee TIm,
Are you using the latest Calmini 5 leaf springs?They move the axle 1" forward and are arched a little higher than the old 3 leaf springs.Using the 5 leaf springs with a shackle reverse and a 1" body lift I'm able to run 32x9.50 Swampers with no rubbing in the fender
wells.

rollerskate
(That's what I was told my Samurai resembles)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2000, 07:48 PM
Keyboard Implanted

hey tim, i am currently running a calmini sr too. got a spoa, and 2 inch body lift. when i did the sr, i moved my axle forward 7/8 of a inch to avoid that problem. runin stock springs too. turnin a 33/1250 tire. seems to work pretty good. only time i rub is when i am going down a STEEP angle with my tires at full lock one way or the other. rubs on the spring then, not the body. do you have any other suggestions that will make anymore improvements. i will not go there with comments about calmini, i will specify that i bought my sr used for the cost of a good cold case of brew. about it being a good mod for road driving, i agree completely. it is the best mod for road driving. i drive mine everyday. it sees more miles of pavement than dirt unfortunately, but those who have been wheelin with me know that I will thrash it as hard as the poor sick little motor will let me. How about it Chris R? James H? Jbird? sorry monster does pretty good considering.
always lookin for ways to improve it, so if you can suggest anything, please email me.
later
bb

for pictures, check out Jbirds
web site. these are from
Uwharrie.
just click on the Uwharrie link.
http://www.geocities.com/jbird88_5/index.html

Do unto others as you want done to you!
If you pack it in, pack it out!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2000, 10:37 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Yessiree, Bub, I'm running the most recent 5 leaf design. According to Steve Kramer, Calmini has re-designed their springs several times to come up with a spring that will give good flex yet not sag. In fact, when you first put on the newer 3" springs, they ride higher than 3", giving some leeway for the spring pack to "break-in" and settle.

I run 31x10.50 BFG M/T's on 15x7 centerlines. Even with the new 5-leak packs, axle moved forward 1", 2" of body lift and massaging the fender well with a hammer, I can still shove my front tires into the rear of the fender well, but barely. Now, understand that it doesn't happen often. I have to SLAM into a deep pothole at 40 MPH or be extremely twisted up (and I mean extremely). But hey, what flex monger doesn't eventually rub something? Even the wild Spidertrax rigs can stuff a tire here or there until they rub.

As far as a few additional add-on's to improve the flex, do many of the same things that you need to do the a SPOA to maximize articulation.

For the front, lose the stock upper shock mounts. Choose RRO's, Petro's, Hardcore's or any other ones out there. I like the Ford towers as they are cheap and work just fine, especially with a body lift. Never seen the Harcore 4x4 towers, but if Porter builds them like he does his skid plates, I'm sure they are bad-ass.

Longer shocks means more travel, but to open it up even more, use the bump stop spacers from the 2" S/R kit and scrap the one's from the 5" combo. This will give even more flex, but will void the Calmini spring warranty. But as I say, what THEY don't know won't hurt YOU. ;-p

A buddy of mine has a S/R on a Wrangler. He got more lift and flex by custom building longer rear shackles for the front. He needed to install shims to get the angles back in line, but he claims he picked up almost 6" more in travel. Currently, he's working on a folding shackle (ala Revolver) for it. Interesting...

For the rear end, get a upper shock mount relocater. Available at the same places. Now install a folding shackle such as Expanders, Revolvers or Drop-Links. This will help free up the rear, which IMHO happens to be the weak link in the Calmin set-up.

Now here's the problem with this whole thing. You wasted money on the Calmini shocks 'cuz your going to need longer ones. You'll have a extra set of Boomerang shackles. You'll need to weld. You thought you were done spending money on the suspension.

Other than that, following these suggestions will really help the Calmini Combo on the trail and on the ramp.

I think Calmini builds a very fine kit. Their welding is par none. It's easy to install, does what it claims, and for those without a well-equiped garage, doesn't require a welder. I've heard of a lot of folks concerned that the bolt-on is weak. If it bothers you, WELD IT! No one ever said it can't be welded, but many SPOA kits can't be bolted.

As I said before, it's not the best set-up out there. But it is a good one. Remember, there are S/R set-up J**Ps that very effectively compete in the Rockcrawling competions and there are SPRING UNDER rigs that win. Food for thought.

Yankee Tim

post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2000, 02:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have the calmini S/R as well. I am running 30" tires on 15X8 rims. I had to cut just a little off of the front bumper, and pound the seem at the back of the front wheel well flat, but it works fine. I did end up putting the extended bump stops in the front, but not the rear. With the shackles that come with the kit, the front gets more lift than the rear any ways, so it wouldn't be to bad to have a little bit longer shackle in the rear. With the extended bump stops on, it rubbed a little when compressed and the steering wheel locked one way or the other, until I pounded that seem flat, now it is fine. You shouldn't have to much problem with those tires if you take "rub-eliminating" precautions like the ones mentioned.

Marcus

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2000, 05:13 PM
CSR

I had the 2" reversal on my Zuk a few years ago. I ran a set of 30" tires on 15x7" wheels. I had rubbing at the rear of the fender until I moved the axle forward 1". I did this by redrilling the spring plates and perches. After making that modification, the tires didn't rub at all. I posted a few pics on my site. http://www.geocities.com/zuki_chris/build_up.html

[email protected]
http://www.geocities.com/zuki_chris/
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2000, 08:47 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Just in case I'm not being clear.

The front axle is moved forward 1". I'm using the 5-leaf packs. I have a 2" body lift. I'm running 31x10.50 on 15x7 rims. Pounded down seam on rear of front wheel wells. No interference with the tube bumper. Bump stops are from the 2" S/R kit, not the 5" combo.

Under EXTREME articulation, the tires still plow the wheel well where the seam was flattened. No turning of tires, wheel straight.

It's not bad, but it still does it. 99% of the time it's fine. But I've been known to twist the crap outta her just for gits and shiggles. I know if I didn't have the body lift, it'd be way worse.

Just wanted to be clear that it's not something I'm doing wrong, it's just a bug in the system.

Yankee Time

post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2000, 09:05 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Billy Bob,

S/R with a SPOA? Are you running the 3" springs too? I was tinkering with that idea, but the 5"er with a spring over would result in around 10"+ of lift. Then add the 2" of body lift. That's a lil' too tippy for me.

Seems like it would be a problem with the drive shafts and steering linkage.

I actually love my SPUA. Been around and over things that made SPOA rigs come near tip-over. Recent write-up in Petersen's (i think thats it) compared the two lifts. One section of trail where the SPUA CJ walked thru tipper-over the SPOA. I found that interesting.

Not to slight a SPOA, as my current project is an SJ410 that I'm doing a SPOA front and possibly a 1/4 elliptic rear. However, I wouldn't drive this from NY to Moab and back like I did in my Calmini Sami.

Yankee Tim

post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2000, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

when you say you had to trim a little off of the front bumper, where exactly did you trim? did you take any off of the mounting plate? i was looking at that today, and there is a bolt in both corners of that mounting plate, so it wouldnt do any good to trim that without taking on of those bolt holes off... i was hoping to trim it all up before i got the tires (they had to order them, have to wait till next tuesday)... im planning on taking the bumper off this weekend and painting it, so i was hoping to do it then, but i have no idea where to trim now
any input will be appreciated
thanks

Steve
'88 Suzuki Samurai
[email protected]
Texas A&M Off-Road
FTAC of 2003
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode