Off Roading Forums banner

Do I have to live with funky steering . . .

426 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  oldzuki 
G
#1 ·
Do I have to live with alot of steering wheel play if my samurai has been lifted? The mechanic said something about not being able to take the play out of the steering because of the way the springs were attached with the lift kit. Is there some kind of retrofit stablizer kit that could help?

thanks!
kristy

#2 ·
You have a few choices. First you can wait till Spidertrax comes out with its track bar, you could fab your own, rumor has it Petroworks can make up one, you can go with power steering, or you can just live with it. I have also seen a Jeep wrangler trak bar put in place, but you will have to do some welding.

#3 ·
The amount of steering play you get from lifting your vehicle is going to depend on what type of lift kit you install.I've always felt that a
SPOA with stock springs(no arch) would give the least amount of lateral movement.Also,if your mechanic hasn't already checked it,make
sure the steering box is properly adjusted.Both my 87 Samurais needed this done when I bought them.

rollerskate
(That's what I was told my Samurai resembles)/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif

G
#4 ·
This might be too basic but just adjusting the steering box worked on my 6" lift '87 and on my stock '94. You have to take out the grill, loosen the lock nut, and turn the slotted screw clockwise until a small movement on the wheel moves the tires. Really worked well on both of mine.

Larry

#5 ·
first thing i would is look at the angle on the drag
link you may need a z-link or drop pitman arm. i run a
drop pitman on my spoa & love it, i still can run a stock
steering stabilizer. if fairly level check your steering
box for play and adjust it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.