How can I tell if my jeep regeared?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2000, 01:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

How can I tell if my jeep regeared??

Is there any way to tell whether my samurai had been re-geared? Do I have to crack the transfer case??

thanks
kristy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2000, 02:46 AM

Re: How can I tell if my jeep regeared??

The gear reduction kits for Samurai T-cases give about double the reduction of a stocker.It's such a night and day differance that you
should be able to tell by just dropping into low range and driving it.You can tell exactly whats in there by putting the tranny in neutral,T-case
in low,hubs unlocked.Block the front tires (for safety)and raise the rear tires off the ground. Crawl underneath and mark the input and one
of the output driveshafts so you can count turns.A stock gearset will require 2.3 turns on the input to get 1 turn at the output.A GRS 1 type
gearset (4.16 reduction) will require 4 turns and a GRS 2 (4.89 reduction) will need 5 turns.
You can use the same basic technique for checking the diffs.Stock gears are 3.73 and the most common replacements are 4.60 and 5.13.

rollerskate
(That's what I was told my Samurai resembles)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2000, 01:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks Rollerskate,

I checked it out and I seem to be running stock gears. ( Although It seemed to work with only raising one rear tire off the ground!?) The engine really seems to scream though - I've never driven a Samurai before though so I've got nothing to compare it to ... I also have super swamper tires on it which I plan to change to a good all terrain radial cuz I do a fair amount of highway driving

thanks!
kristy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2000, 03:57 PM

it worked with only one rear tire off the ground because you dont have lockers in the diffs...

the engine seems like its screaming on the highway im sure... but remember, it doesnt redline until 6500... now thats screaming... i run around 65 in 4th gear at about 4500 rpms... suzuki's specialty is motorcycles, so they do know how to make a good small engine... as long as you keep it around 5500 or so there shouldnt be anything to worry about...

Steve
'88 Suzuki Samurai
[email protected]
Texas A&M Off-Road
FTAC of 2003
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode