Tire Rubbing Srpings - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2000, 08:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tire Rubbing Srpings

Well here I go again, First off Thanks Wayne for the drop pitman arm. And everyone else for the other advise. Now, the custom SPOA is done, and 31X10.50 are on as of lastnight. But I cant figure out if I have and alignmet problem or if something is bent cause I cant get the stearing wheel straight to start with and when I turn the Zuk (88 sami) all the way to the right the right tire rubbs on the back part of the springs. All the way left nothing rubbs. I dont think anyone in my club has this problem cause no one has ever said. Any ideas??

jmoe [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2000, 09:27 AM
mike shannon

Re: Tire Rubbing Srpings

THE REASON YOU ARE RUBBING ONE WAY AND NOT THE OTHER IS THE STEERIG LINK IS STILL AT A ANGLE, THERE FOR IT IS ACTUALLY SHORTER THAN IT WAS BEFORE.WHEN I DO A SPOA I JUST BUILD A Z LINK BUT TO MAKE IT ALL LINE UP YOU HAVE TO PUT IN THE SAME AMOUNT OF DROP AS LIFT.BUT THE DROPED PITMAN ARM IS BETTER AGAINST BUMP STEER THAN A Z LINK. YOU CAN MAKE THE LINK A LITTLE LONGER JUST MEASURE THE AMOUNT OF THE ANGLE IT IS AT THEN PULL IT OFF THE ZOOK,LAY IT ON A TABLE MEASURE THE TOTAL LENGHT. NOW IF YOU RAISE THE ONE END THE AMOUNT OF THE ANGLE,THAT IT IS AT ON THE TRUCK YOU WILL YOU WILL SEE THE LINK BE COMING SHORTER FROM THE FLAT POSITION. IF ALL THIS SOUNDS LIKE TO MUCH WORK JUST PUT IN SOME WHEEL SPACERS AND PULL YOUR STEERING WHEEL OFF AND RESET IT. GOOD LUCK MIKE

88ht,two87s,88.5 spoa,32.5x11.5 5.12 f&r,rock cage,4.16 T case
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2000, 11:12 AM
Old Hand

Re: Tire Rubbing Springs

HEY MIKE,

STOP YELLING! :>)

But you are right about his problem.
Samurai's axles do not have "stops" built-in to stop the wheels from turning to far. The stop is in the steering box itself. You realy need to correct the problem because you are allowing the wheels to turn to far in the one direction. This is not good for the life of your Birfield joints.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img][email protected]
http://www.geocities.com/jbird88_5/index.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2000, 09:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Tire Rubbing Srpings

There's basically two things you can do to get the tires off your springs.

1) Get some wheel spacers like the kind we carry from Spidertrax.

2) You can get some custom backspaced wheels like a 2" backspacing. These will be custom. Not available from any local tire or wheel shop. A place like Willamette can make them up for you for under $50 each.

Hardcore Suzuki products for hardcore enthusiasts.
www.rocky-road.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode