Sammi Steering Damper - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Sammi Steering Damper

Yo;
I've removed my STEERING DAMPER so I can replace it because it looked worn. It'll be replaced by this weekend. In the meantime, what does it do??
Lee

LeeClark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2000, 06:25 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Sammi Steering Damper

if its worn you will probally not even notice it missing, I run 33" tires without one and its fine

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2000, 07:02 AM
ronin

I was thinking about adding one (along with all the other stuff I have my eyes on) after I get my lift and tires installed. Do they really work or are they not worth the money?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2000, 12:24 PM
Can't Get Enough

The replacement type like the Monroe that fit the existing brackets do help vibration, etc. The type that use u-bolts to attach like the Rancho and others in my opinion do not work well for daily driving. When you turn the wheels it takes MUCH more noticeable effort than normal to turn the steering wheel back to straighten the wheels. Normally when you turn the steering wheel it will practically return to center without a conscious effort. With that type damper the wheels will remain fully turned until the same amount of effort is applied to straighten them. I did not like that characteristic at all so I pulled mine off and would give it to anyone that wanted to pick it up.... free of charge.

88.5 Samurai Hardtop
87 Samurai Convertible
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2000, 09:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Isolates or reduces shock loads from the steering gear box extending its life. Reduces and controls steering shakes or shimmy due to a worn steering gear box.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2000, 11:35 PM
Old Hand

They do slightly cover up bump-steer. I run them and like them. If you decide to get one, make sure you get the type mentioned by Brown29 that mount to the axle. Don't try to flat-tow with one attached because he was right about having to slightly guide it back straight arounrd corners. I prefer to have one though. Just my $0.02

ZUK ON !!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2000, 02:33 AM

When I bought my first Samurai it came equipped with 31 x 11.5 tires.When driving on the road the vehicle really darted around on bumpy
turns.Thinking that something was worn out or out of adjustment in the steering system I took the Zook to a tire shop to have it checked.
The technician told me nothing was wrong with the Sazuki (an honest man) but that the oversize tires would require a heavy duty steering
damper.I installed a HD damper and it solved the problem.That was before I equipped my rig with power steering.I'll have to remove the
damper to see if it's required with power steering.

rollerskate
(That's what I was told my Samurai resembles)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2000, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Thanx to all who replied! A new, original style and size damper has been installed using the original bracket.

LeeClark
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2000, 09:33 PM

ive been looking for one of the monroe replacements... does anyone happen to have the model number? can you pick this up at any auto parts store that carries monroe shocks?

thanks

Steve
'88 Suzuki Samurai
[email protected]
Texas A&M Off-Road
FTAC of 2003
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2000, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Yo Texas A&M;
When I pulled my steering damper off, I took it with me when I went to a foreign car parts store (J&R in Philadelphia). The owner literally matched it up by eye-balling the unit. He also straightened my mounting bracket since I'd bent it when removing it from the vehicle. Tomorrow, I'll get under my Sammi and read the parts number for you. Total cost for new damper and re-straightening the mounting bracket... $40!!
Thanx to all for suggestions!!

LeeClark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode