Add A Leafs - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2000, 12:55 PM
SRN

Add A Leafs

Im looking at these National Add A Leafs that Rocky Road Outfitters is selling and Im wondering what you guy's opinion is.
Im just looking at an easy way to get about an inch more of lift. Are these a good way of doing it or should I go for something else?
Thanks,

SRN
'86 Samurai "Simple Sami MK2"
http://home.off-road.com/~zukinet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2000, 07:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Add A Leafs

First of all, I would like to commend you on your web site (had a quick boo). It's a little rough around the edges, but I like your approach to building a Samurai. Even if you are staying small by necessity (lack of funds), I still like it.

I too believe one can do a heck of a lot of 'wheeling and have a whole bunch of fun with a mildy built Samurai (235s ect.).

To answer your question:

I don't know anything about the National add-a-leafs, but I have heard that they are a good brand for "properly" built springs etc.

I just (as in yesterday, and tested today) installed a set of home grown add-a-leafs, and was surprised by the flex I achived.

I got a set of front CJ lift (2-2.5"?) springs given to me for free. I took the two packs apart and used 4 leafs, one for each Samurai pack, to give myself a little extra lift. They worked great today. I had plenty of flex, and in fact could have had more if I had time to find some longer shocks.

The problem most people have with add-a-leaves is the fact that they are "adding" a leaf to the pack, which stiffens the ride and cuts the wheel travel short. What I did was to remove some of the stock leaves when I added the add-a-leafs. In the rear I am running the stock main leaf and overload with the CJ leaf. In the front I'm running the stock main leaf and bottom (shorty) leaf with the CJ leaf.

This has worked well so far, I just don't know how long the lift will last. I suspect it well settle a bit after a wheel more. I would suggest having the main leaf re-arched to the same arch as the add-a-leaf. That should help with longevity.

Another idea that has been used (and Glenn W. doesn't like it [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]), is to bolt or weld some plates on the sides of the spring hangers to lower the spring mounting hole. How long are your shackles? If they are 1" longer than stock, you are now getting 1/2" of lift from them. If you lower the mounting hole by an inch, then you will get a full inch of lift (keeping in mind that there are drawbacks to this method).

http://www.northcoast.com/~zukiman/hangers.html

If you can get a set of stock '76-'86 CJ front springs cheap or free, you could use your mainleafs with the Jeep leafs for a little lift too.

I've heard of people using Toyota Corrola, Bronco and Pony springs as well. Being a cheap SOB, I would go to the wreckers with a measuring tape, before I bought new leafs.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

My Zuk right now:

2" longer than stock shackles (1" lift)(no center brace off-road)
no sway-bar
no bump-stops
front brakeline brackets cut off frame
no spring clamps
31s rub a bit
235s don't rub
I need about a 2" longer shock for max flex, but it flexes as well as a lot of SOA Zuks I've seen

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2000, 09:07 PM
Old Hand

Re: Add A Leafs

Here's my $.02

I bought 2" add-a-leafs from Off-Road Unlimited about 3 years ago. I originally just added the add-a-leafs to the stock spring packs. It was OK but not great. Now I have customized them a little with great results.

What I now run;

Front Packs= Stock main leaf, add-a-leaf, CJ leaf, short rear leaf.

Rear Packs= Stock main leaf, add-a-leaf, rear leaf, short CJ leafs.

I also have 2" longer than stock shackles for a total of around 3.5" lift. I use 3 to 4" longer shocks. I had to cut the brakeline mounts off of the frame to keep from breaking the lines.

This set up flexes great and makes room for 31's. The ride is a little stiff because of the shocks not the springs.

Check out my website if you want to see pics.

Jay

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img][email protected]
http://www.geocities.com/jbird88_5/index.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode