Rear Third Member Swap ??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Rear Third Member Swap ???

I may have a rear end going out on my Sammy. How much trouble would it be to swap the third member
for the spare rear axle assembly I have. I would change the whole axle but the one I am running now is
SPOA and my spare is not. How much trouble is changing the innards?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2000, 06:38 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Rear Third Member Swap ???

changing the third member is easy, take off the tires,disconnect the brake lines and parking brake cable. remove the 4 nuts thet hold the backing plate to the axle tube and knock it out with a hammer (hit a piece of 2X4, not the backing plate), if you do it this way you dont even have to take off the drum. Pull out the axle shafts about 6" and remove the third member and swap it out. This should take about an hour per axle

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2000, 03:05 PM
Old Hand

Why you have everyting apart you might consider changing your axle seals. It's easy and it will probably save you a headache later on. Check bearings also, good luck.

ZUK ON !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2000, 09:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Seals are always a good idea, and they are only a few bucks each, so why not? I figure that I will change them everytime I take the time to take things apart. You should be able to switch everything without a problem. Good luck.

marcus

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2000, 06:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Swapping 3rd members is easy and other posts have covered basics pretty good. No special tools are needed unless you are doing more such as changing axle bearings or changing parts on 3rd member. A good manual repair manual would be nice. The Hayes Suzuki manual has good coverage on what you want to do and the $75. factory manual covers everything. A surprising good manual for differentials is Chilton's Truck and Van Repair Manual for 1988 through 1992 with differentials covered in the back of the manual. It is in many libraries and auto parts stores.

Here are problem areas you could have depending on differing years and models.
There are 2 different drive shaft flanges depending on Sami model year. Side gear axle splines could be different if 3rd member is from a Sidekick.

Why do you think your 3rd member is going bad?

post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2000, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Actually if you see me previous posts about my V6 Chevy Samurai, I picked it up cheap knowing that
it had some problems. At first I thought it was the rear end (making a grinding noise) But now I am sure
that it is the transfer case that is bad. I found out yesterday that the front end and rear end have different
ratio's (the front end is an older jeep, I think and the rear end is stock sammy. I also found out that the
rear end has a worn pinion bearing. I think I am gonna change the front and rear (I have a spares)
See Ya

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2000, 12:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

It is relative easy to put in new pinion bearing and seal. Maybe you want somthing more bullet proof for your chevy engine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode