Toyota axles for Samurai - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Toyota axles for Samurai

Just bought myself a 1988 Samurai and although it is a fun and fairly capable off roader as it is I would like to beef it up a little. One thing I want to do is add larger tires, lower axle gears and a locker or limited-slip device. I have heard that some people are switching to Toyota axles under their Sammy. Before spending time and money on parts for my original axles, I would like to explore this option further. Does anyone know which Toyota axles fit the best and are they any wider than the Samurai axles? Wider would be a benefit because it would help eliminate tire rub on the front end. How much work is involved it such a swap?

Also does anyone know any numbers for Hp and Torque gain from swapping from a stock 1.3l to a stock 1.6l engine? (both engines are carbureted)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 03:49 PM
Journeyman

Lightbulb

84-85 Toyota axles are best; either from a pickup or a 4 runner, although it may be a tough find, those specific years are your best bet for a good swap. I do know that the Toyota axles are wider than the samurai axles; however, I am unsure by how much. Pertaining to the G13 1.3 liter carbureted engine; it was OEM equipment on the samurai until fuel injection 90-91 (can't recall) and available only on the base manual trans equipped 89 only sidekick/tracker it was a SOHC 1.3 I-4 8 valve rated at 64 horsepower, I'm unsure about the torque rating but it's about 85-90 lb. ft. of torque; when the samurai received fuel injection horsepower only increased by 2 bringing the horsepower numbers to a "staggering" 66 horse I-4....however talking about the driveability, that's a whole different story!!. The tracker only received the carbed 1.3, the 1.6 was a TBI engine (throttle body fuel injection), it was rated at 80 horsepower @ 5400 rpm and 94 lb. ft. torque @ 3000 rpm. For more info check out Ack's FAQ site; he's got tons of useful info on there. Here's the link, Ack's FAQ Suzuki Sidekick and Geo Tracker 4X4 offroading information check it out!. Some time ago, I found a ton of info on this site. Click on the trucks & 4x4 section on the top right hand, then click on suzuki, then click on the trucks & 4x4 tech section and begin searching; all the info I mentioned is there or it should be. Or you could try searching for the words "geo tracker specifications" that's how I found the specs; I also saw them on the GM website, however, I believe they had the 96 and later specs all complete. Hope that helps you out, if you need anything else hit me up or post again. Late.

I need a bigger engine!

Last edited by blowns10; 10-05-2010 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Found the info
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 01:55 PM

I have a nice set of Toyota Landcruiser axles for sale located in NY about a 1/2 hour south of Albany NY. These axles were in a Samurai before I purchased them.

Specs below:

-FJ40 rear
-diff guard
-vented disc brakes
-El Dorado calipers w/parking brake
-fine spline pinion
-Lockright front, No Slip rear
-original ringed Longfields
-high steer set up for FJ60 power steering
-4.56 gears
-set up for Rocky Road coil suspension

-FJ60 front, narrowed to match rear
-knuckles rotated
-vented rotors
-FJ60 calipers
-diff guard
-4.56 gears
-set up for Rocky Road coil suspension
-spindle studs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode