upgrades - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

upgrades

I have a 1996 Geo Tracker softtop that I'm planning on using as a hunting vehcile in the fall .It will be in mud and snow and some steep grades.What I was wanting to know is there any simply upgrades that can be done to engine to give it more pulling power.It has a 1.6 16 valve engine in it and a five speed tranny.Any help would be appericated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 11:04 PM
Journeyman

There are tons of aftermarket parts available, primarily dealing with the suspension, and gearing. For more performance, here are some of my recommendations: K&N replacement air filter, Doug Thorley header, Calmini exhaust system.

Suzuki Samurai, Sidekick, Grand Vitara, Swift and Chevy Tracker Parts and Accessories by Calmini Products

K&N High Performance Air Filters, Air Intakes, & Oil Filters

at Doug Thorley Headers dougthorleyheaders.com

other places to check are Offroad products for the serious offroad enthusiast!, PetroWorks,
CALMINI Products Inc. - Suzuki, Nissan, Isuzu Suspension Systems and Lift Kits and Welcome to the Trail Tough Products are a few that come to mind for more power and off-road ability for your rig. Check them out!. Late.

And by the way, welcome to the forum!

I need a bigger engine!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

upgrades

Thanks Blown10,I really appreciate your input and experience into this matter.
Will High Output Coil,Module and Distributor work on this engine as far as adding a few horsepower more.Did this a a 258 Jeep engine and it helped out a lot on horsepower.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 01:15 AM
Journeyman

Yup a high output coil will work as well as a performance module and distributor....don't know if the last two are even available for the Zuk though.
Don't forget to get some good plug wires and plugs too!!....I use NGK plugs and Taylor Vertex plug wires (I've got a 86 T10 Blazer 2.8 V6 TBI); am unsure if Taylor makes plug wires for your application...

It will work because you will have more spark energy and will cause the fuel to burn (or atomize) more completely throughout the RPM range.

I believe Flex a lite has an electric fan which replaces the engine driven clutch fan, and it will also give you some ponies!!.

Check on the websites I posted previously, they will help you out a lot!!.

Need any more help or info, drop me a line. I'm not on much, but I drop in every now & then. Late.

I need a bigger engine!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 09:43 PM
Keyboard Implanted

pepping up a 1.6 16-valve...

Practically-speaking, the two best things that you can do for your engine is:

A complete tuneup with factory specified sparkplugs (you might also buy a new set of sparkplug wires...)

A Doug Thorley exhaust manifold and a 2" exhaust system.

I believe that Thorley is the only seller of a 50-state approved 16-valve exhaust manifold although Calmini might have one...

Beyond that, a complete rebuild is the next step. The 16-valve is the best engine to have in a Tracker/Sidekick outside of an engine swap.

If the engine is running pretty badly, examine the accessory pully for any looseness. If there IS looseness you probably have a wallowed crankshaft timing gear keyway - which is screwing up your timing.

This situation usually happens when someone tries to change the timing belt by removing the crankshaft bolt instead of the five smaller accessory pulley bolts in an effort to remove the timing belt cover...

I hope that this helps!

Ack
Ack's FAQ
nearly 837 searchable links to Suzuki/Geo modding and maintenence info - including the Tracker FSM Project!
'88 "SJ-416 Samurai"
'11 Ford Transit Connect XLT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode