tracker/sidekick 4rd member into sami swap - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

tracker/sidekick 4rd member into sami swap

Hey all, new here. I recently picked up a nice 87 samurai. It has a sidekick engine, and is sitting on 35" swampers. I picked it up for a steal because the rear third member was blown. I intend to build up some yota axles in the future, but just to get it rolling I am looking at swapping it with the sidekick or tracker 4rd members. I have been looking up a lot, one thing I have not found is regaurding years. Will it matter what years the kicks or trackers are? am I looking for a specific range of years? Any info to help me get this project rolling would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 12:11 AM

first gen goes by transmissions 4 id

Welcome
Not so busy here as it use to be I'm told, but if you search the old forums- there is a bible of zuk knowledge. This is like the OG forum.
I don't know the exact years but pretty much all the 89-98?(the old body style and grill)2dr 5spds had 5.12/5.13(same gears gets called diff names) and the 2dr 3spd autos had 4.60 with the 1.6 8-valve and 4.30 with the 1.6 16 valve, not sure about the 4drs and 4spd autos though. I've been wheeling awhile but am pretty new to forums and the zukifacts so I only know what I've dealt with. What gear ratio you want depends on what t-case gears you have. If you have stock axles you'll need two front tracker 3rds but I'd grab the rear too incase you decide to go with a hybrid rear axle cause trail tough sells chromoly axles at a good price front n rear that competes with the price/work of going toyota if you don't plan on bigger than 35's.

Get a samurai FSM if you don't have one.
I swapped the front r&p gears from a tracker into the samurai 3RD member when I did my sas tracker. It was easy to set up and using the kit they sell that holds the spider pins in. I just got gear marking compound and watched the factory setup before taking it apart and felt how the factory backlash was. Turn the factory tracker pinion by hand and feel the resitance, that is the important inch lbs setting they talk about when you tighten it back up in the sammy 3rd member. Not every one has an inch lbs torque wrench, I reused the original crush sleeve(tracker one) and tightened with an impact slowly checking till it was where it felt before. A lot of people may say this is wrong but it works for me and I have a lot of abusive miles to prove it. I wouldn't do this with new gears but with used gears that are broken in and have thier setup worn in it works. Aisin diffs are so much easier than case spreading shim setting domestics.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 09:41 PM
Keyboard Implanted

16v 4dr Auto has 5.12

1.3 5spd hase 5.62

Yankee Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 01:35 PM

Hello, Newbie Here.
I'm looking to go the OPPOSITE way. I want to put higher gears into my street Sidekick.
Can I use your Sammi ring gears and recycle them into my ride ?? What is the highest ratio that will fit both axles ?? 3.40 , 3.73 ??
Thanks, Any help would be great.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 02:05 PM
Keyboard Implanted

No, you can't do that. Kick front gears are 7" rings, as are front and rear Sammy gears. The Kick uses a 7.75" rear ring, and the tallest you can get factory is 4.30:1.

Yankee Tim
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 10:25 AM

3rd member gears

Sooooo, IF I went to the trouble to hang a Sammy rear axle under the kick, I could put the aluminum front third member into the rear with higher gears ?? What gear ratios are available and would they come out of the fronts or backs of the sammy ??
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 10:29 AM
Keyboard Implanted

not really advisable. The kick is a centered section axle, while the Sammy is offset. Not good for driveline angles. Also, the aluminum diff is VERY weak. Most pull the R&Ps and install then in the steel Sammy carrier when used in Sammy's.

86 and later Sammy's are all 3.73's

Yankee Tim
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 12:58 PM

OK Tim... You made me do it. I was trying to make it an "easy " question without lots of details, but ok, here goes.
I'm building a high mile per gallon car ( on paper ) and wanted to use the suzuki rear end because of its smaller size. The right axle tube will be narrowed to the third member. A samurai trans and a Geo 3 cyl engine. This is all stuffed in a buggy frame with 0ne seat and the drivetrain along side of the driver.
So, which sammy gears fit the front pumpkin of a sidekick and are 373s the lowest??

Feel free to challenge my idea. I love head banging.
Thanks
Grizz
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 12:08 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Okay then. Yup, Sammy 3.73's are the lowest (tallest) you can go.

Yankee Tim
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 06:01 PM
Journeyman

Interesting, high mileage 1 person vehicle (buggy) cool, love to hear what you're working with. Late.

I need a bigger engine!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode