Vehicle Specs - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Question Vehicle Specs

Hey guys, what's up?. Just have another inquiry; I was thinking about purchasing a used ZR2 tracker....what do you guys think, should I or not?. I would also like to know the specs on the sidekick; such as horsepower, torque, compression ratio, gear ratio, and any more in depth detail that may be provided. What vehicle would be a good wheeler?. As stated previously, I currently have a 1986 2 wheel drive S10 Blazer, but am looking for a good, economical 4x4 to have fun with. Do you recommend the ZR2 tracker or should I look for a ZR2 Blazer?. Anybody know what vehicles have come from the factory with 31" tires?. Thanks for any help or info!!.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 02:21 PM
Keyboard Implanted

ZR2 Tracker is essentially a re-badged Suzuki Grand Vitara. I believe it has a V6, but might have the 2.0L I4. The neat thing about the ZR2 is that they have skid plates that were never available for the Suzuki version.

The Grand Vitara is a refined Sidekick, and can be built quite well. Search this forum for pics of mine.

Yankee Tim
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Thanks!!

Yes a ZR2 Tracker is a rebagded Grand Vitara, thanks I recall viewing the same specs for both the ZR2 & the Grand Vitara when searching for info on those vehicles. When researching I discovered that the Tracker/Sidekick was replaced by the Suzuki Vitara and later the Grand Vitara was introduced; but I thank you for the information, it is greatly appreciated!!!. According to my findings the ZR2 used the V6 engine only for the 4 door, however, the 2 door ZR2 used the 2.0 I4; when it was available.

I never knew that the ZR2Trackers were available with skidplates, I didn't think they would have them, since they only run P215/75R15 tires versus the regular Tracker, which uses P205/75R15 tires; not much of a difference.

What parts would you recommend in order to make a ZR2 tracker a better wheeler?....what do you run on yours?. THANKS!!

Last edited by blowns10; 02-02-2011 at 11:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Question Nice rig

After using the search forum, I discovered that you (Yankee Tim) use the Calmini 2.5" lift, then you were gonna do a solid axle swap correct?, your rig must be a lot of fun. Personally, I really like the body style of the Tracker & Sidekick in comparison to the Samurai, which has more off road support, but to me it looks WAY TOO MUCH LIKE A JEEP!!! (except shorter). The tracker has a decent amount of aftermarket support and seems like a good choice for me; it's a real 4x4 with low range, has a low GVWR, and can haul 2 adults and gear in the back (with rear seat removed when not needed). I notice you really like the calmini suspension, I thought about adding the 1.5" Old Man Emu suspension, but for an extra $200 I could drop in the 3" Calmini kit which replaces all the bushings and seems like a better choice. Either that or I'll add the OME kit, 3" Calmini body lift, Calmini rear bumper, ARB front bumper, and shrockworks rock sliders, all on 30" Yokohama Geolander MT tires (the smallest & most aggressive tires I could find). Or who knows, if I am not mistaken I can use Grand Vitara coil springs front & rear, for about a 2" lift, or so correct?. Are there any performance parts for the 1.6 I-4?...I know there are few; Calmini exhaust, K&N air filter, Doug Thorley header, Total Seal piston rings, Royal Purple oils, but is there a performance chip for the tracker or sidekick available; jet used to make one but they no longer manufacture one, are there any more performance parts available? I can purchase a stock S-10 Blazer 4WD and fit 30" tires stock without any mods, it already comes with skidplates and has a decent engine. What would you recommend I do? THANKS!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 09:23 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowns10 View Post
What parts would you recommend in order to make a ZR2 tracker a better wheeler?....what do you run on yours?. THANKS!!
I can save you a lot of headache and money. You can buy mine for $6000. Just would need to fly out to NY to pick it up.

My wifey is over the GV, and I don't want to wreck it. So I'm building a 4-seater Toy-based buggy instead.

Yankee Tim
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Talking Thanks for the offer

Well, thanks for the offer but I'm gonna have to pass. Your rig seems like a great wheeler, based on the pic you can take it pretty much anywhere. But after some research, I guess I'll just wait it out; maybe I can score a cheap sidekick or tracker later on. But for now I'll stick to my fun little 2WD; oh wait I spoke too soon.....my buddy is selling me a pile for $350, it's an 86 S10 Blazer 4x4 with 30" tires on it, stock suspension, no mods, it's got a 2.8 V6, 700R4, and the NP207 t-case; it's got the Z71 off-road package, which means skidplates......guess that's gonna be my ride for the time being. It needs new bushings, shocks & brakes, but the engine, trans, t-case & diffs all seem to work fine and they don't leak nor do they have cracks. Thanks for all your help, I'm sure I will purchase a sidekick or tracker in the future as an alternate. Regardless thanks very much.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 12:36 AM

s10 vs. blazer

Before I bought my tracker I had a 4.3 s-10 beater for awhile, It was a lot of fun everywhere except big rocks but I didn't weld the diff either, I skyed it often, I mean hitting an uphill railroad crossing at 50 plus and landing 15ft away then bouncing another 10. Going through whoop sections where you don't even feel them except every now and then when you touch ground and spring back up. Just beat it to death till the motor or tranny blows,
then buy a tracker, put a big skidplate/cheap sky offroad spacer/body lift w/30's and weld the rear diff,beat that till the ifs is so tweaked that the front axles bind the suspension and you have to make a prerunner out if it, then do a sas and beat it some more. It's worked 4 me so far, I've also gone through a couple sammis and a nice lifted yota on 33 swampers but them dang yodas just keep breaking in half for some reason. Have fun with it.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Thanks for the insight

Hey Dave, thanks for the info. Damn, your info helps me a lot; just goes to show you the durability of the IFS front end. Did you do any type of mods to the S10?, what brand & size of tires where you running?. I've pretty much read about the IFS and "how weak it is", but have heard mixed results, because on one hand I hear it's weak but on the othere hand I hear it's a pretty stout piece......who knows?...So after the S10 breaks down I will definitely start looking for a tracker. What skidplate is best, because the only one I have seen are the Calmini skidplates, you recommend adding both a sky off road spacer lift kit for the suspension and a body lift, how much lift?. What brand of 30" tire do you recommend?; do I use the stock wheels?. Thanks for the recommendations and help!!. Damn right, I'm gonna have tons of fun, wheeling a stock S10 Blazer and a mildly modified tracker when the S10 quits!!. Thanks again!!. Late.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 01:05 AM

yeah man

I made my own skidplate for the tracker from a skidplate designed to cover the engine and tranny for a vw buggy, I just put another crossmember,notched it for the a-arms and put a hole so I could drain the oil, get a 16valve if you can way more power.
My s10 was stock I didn't really plan on modyfying it, I got it cheap so I just wanted to see how long it would last having as much fun as possible. Everyone likes to have big custom trucks, but there is nothing like seeing what you can do in a near stock vehicle,just bring lots of chain/straps,highlift type jack and two or three cheap come-alongs cause they always break, it makes you 100 times better driver when you start building a custom ride too. Way cheaper to own sometimes. 31's are common used and in junkyards, 33 and up aren't, just don't play around when the tirod ends,balljoints,etc.. start loosening up- change em. This ain't a chevy forum, lol so....good luck
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

"S10 Tracker" forum LOL

That's cool, yeah, i've heard the 16 valve engines are the way to go, lots more power (in comparison to the 8V). Seems like 94 was the year they were also available in the 2 door trackers, but I think it was only for the LSi versions with the enclosed cab, not the convertibles. Maybe I can find one in the near future, we'll have to wait and see what develops. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode