1988 Samurai Problems - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

1988 Samurai Problems

I just recently bought a 1988 Suzuki Sammy 1.3 carb. I had it running perfect timing is excellent... new plugs, wires, cap, button, fuel filter, new accellerator pump, tried a new ignition coil, check all ground that I know about.

My problem is it will crank and idle fine, if I put it in gear and try going, it will act like its going to die out, but if I floor it 5 or 6 grand rpm I can drive it every where as long as I keep the rpms high. Can anyone help me?? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 01:36 PM

The carburetor can be a nightmare from hell. There are a lot of vacuum hoses that may be leaking and dash pots not working. There are also a couple of micro switches that makes things work.
Id suggest starting with the simple things first. Look for cracked or leaking hoses and make sure the choke is unloading a little after first start up. There is a small dash pot near the intake that dose this.
Hope this helps.
Steve.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 08:23 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Before you get into the carb you might want to try a few things,
One- Get it running with the aircleaner off and stick your hand over the carb choking it off. sometimes it will pull the crap in the jets out.

2- make sure your fuel pump isn't leaking into the engine. (check the oil if it smells like gas it is likly bad.

Check all the vac lines to the diagram under the hood. if you are missing it I think it is posted here in the suzuki section. (it was at one time)

All in all the hitachis either work well or not at all. they are a bit of a nightmare to work on. (and I have never had any real problems with most carbs.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 11:40 AM
Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramp Rat View Post
The carburetor can be a nightmare from hell. There are a lot of vacuum hoses that may be leaking and dash pots not working. There are also a couple of micro switches that makes things work.
I’d suggest starting with the simple things first. Look for cracked or leaking hoses and make sure the choke is unloading a little after first start up. There is a small dash pot near the intake that dose this.
Hope this helps.
Steve.
Yep these carbs are touchy, I would suggest check for vac leaks are mentioned above and then spraying down all the linkages, springs on carb with a good cleaner. Run some sea foam through the carb, also it could be fuel filter getting clogged. I ran a 3 gallon gas tank with new universal fuel filter right to mech pump and found that my problem this last time was fuel filter as it ran fine with my test setup. Might want to try that also, because if it still does it then you know for sure its probally the carb.

You could also try the following trick
Zuknation.net Forums-viewtopic-The "Redneck tuneup"

http://4x4auctions.net Online auction site for all our 4x4 trucks, parts, and related products, with free item listings!
http://zuknation.net Online Suzuki/Geo community
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode