Radiator Solutions?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Radiator Solutions??

You know it's been quite awhile since i last posted... things change so quickly and honestly some of the excitement of this BB has diminished .

Anyhoo... I was looking at the stock Sami radiator/cooling system and since I live in the desert I'm finding it to be inadequate for the higher temps we get around here. Seems to me that the intake and delivery hoses should be on opposite sides of the radiator in order for the system to reach maximum cooling efficiency. BUT the hoses are on the same side just high & low. Appears that 60% of the radiator doesn't even get used.

What am I missing?? I'm thinking of buying a Ford Mustang aluminum radiator and fabbing some brackets to get it to fit since it has the full pass cooling design. What are you guys doing?

billybob_CA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 03:15 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob View Post
What are you guys doing?
Driving in colder weather? LOL

Yeah, a sodacan rad should do much better. Most want "plug-n-play" so the PW rad is it, but that's pricey. Which mustang rad are you thinking of using?

Yankee Tim
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Tim...

Check this SUMMIT RAD
it's got the size thing so that equals superior cooling but the hose inlet & outlet are too large. Have to do research with that. I think that it'll interfere with the power steering tho'
any other ideas?

billybob_CA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Bumpditty bump

billybob_CA
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 07:50 PM
Apprentice

Radiator

Long time since you were active. Next time I am in SD I stop by and show you my set up. 1.6 8V with A/C and Factory type Taiwan brass radiator. I was just out today and the temp here was 107* (Pahrump, Nv) and we were quite comfortable in the TT. I am a firm believer that IF everything is working properly a stock radiator will cool any Suzuki motor. I also have a 1.6 16V radiator I was going to use but so far have not had a use for it. If you have overheating issues I would start by cleaning the radiator first. The fan clutch is also a major help. I replaced mine 2 years ago. A 16V radiator would be my next choice. Let us know how you make out.

"Batteries not included, Your mileage will vary"
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Thanks AUGGY...

This is the mystery...the radiator is NEW aluminum, the timing is on mark 8*, the engine is a 1600 16valve with ~160k on it runs fantastic no leaks, no oil consumption... waterpump changed less than 10k ago.
I do have the Petroworks engine adapter that lowers and angles the engine from stock position so that the factory clutch & mech fan don't line up without modifying the brackets to allow for weird angle. (I've done the mod and run the factory mech fan & rig only starts to heat when on the trail rather than on the freeway)
The eng only starts to overheat AFTER the 195* point and pushes out the coolant... If I'm careful NOT to allow the coolant to be pushed out the rig runs at 160-185* even when hot outside. The problem seems to be losing the coolant from the rad.
I NEVER see the temp gauge go to 210* or higher.

My Theory is that somehow the cap is not high enuff pressure to keep coolant in (yes it is a OEM cap & pretty new) Cuz it seems that once the steam gets into the system the eng wants to run hot-overheat.
Could there be an issue with a blocked coolant delivery tube or passage??

billybob_CA
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 08:58 PM
Apprentice

Overheating?

OK, the rad is new, so as long as it has never had any sealer or stopleak in the system it should be clean. Next is the Shroud. If you do not use the shroud it will run hotter at lower speeds. At freeway speeds you are pushing a lot of air through the radiator rather than pulling it with a fan.
I had a high heat problem a few months ago and found a heater hose that was leaking a small amount, not enough to see on the ground but the heater valve was wet. It would not leak much but when cooling down would suck a LOT of air into the head/intake so that when I started up the next time there was a big air pocket below the thermostat and it would go to hot in 4 blocks. but then it would go down very quickly and run OK. I replaced the hose on the heater valve and is OK for now. Running arround town today at 106* temp guage is 1/16" above the middle mark and right on the middle on the highway.
Is your radiator completely full first thing in the morning? That is, does it suck the coolant from the overflow after shutting down? If not, you have a leak in the system; cap, hose,or a pinhole somewhere, and you will overheat under the right conditions. Keep trying.

"Batteries not included, Your mileage will vary"
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Thanks Auggy...
That helps explain it. I've been thinking that there might be a head gasket leak... super small & only sometimes... intermittant so that the rig runs good most often BUT when stressed (dune running in Sept) she blows out the coolant then all bets are off. The Flex-a-lite fan I got runs 1700+cfm and comes with the should that covers the entire surface of the rad perfectly so I don't think the shroud is a factor.... perhaps the heater valve or heater core???
No visual cues as to where a 'pinhole' might be... I'll keep looking. Yes, the coolant is sucked back into the rad after she reaches room temp but there is still some loss of fluid afterwards... possibly loss from steam-off? I dunno... PITA

billybob_CA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode