lift options...need to clear 30" tires - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

lift options...need to clear 30" tires

currently on my samurai i have a set of 235x75xR15 all terrains. The suspension is stock besides longer shackles. The problem i have is the shackles seem to hit many of the obsticles i attempt and bottom out in deep ruts... I want to be able to clear 30 inch tall tires and get rid of the extended shackles. What can i do to achieve this? I'm on a very limited budget. If i buy new pearches to mount the springs over the axle what other parts would i need? (ie U bolts, brake lines, driveshaft spacers) I refuse to do a body lift so my focus is on suspension. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 08:21 PM

underspring

under spring is the way to go. i am going to do a sj413 from what i was told you dont need any extra parts use all your stuff ie grind of spring mounts off the axles and re weld on stuff like that you may need to get a longer brake line for the back axle but then agian you can drop the mount for the line and use a longer steel line to save cash. i was going to make longer shackles for the stock sj410 i havent desided yet. dont know what to do with the sj413 eather might just pull the new motor out and a few other goodies and scrap it
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the advice JD... What about steering parts? all the lift manufactures recomend OTT and other steering products they sell. Is this just them marketing their products or is it a necesity with a lift? By the way if i purchase 3" lift springs would my Zuk clear 30" tires?

Last edited by Gator; 06-19-2009 at 08:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 12:25 PM
Keyboard Implanted

suspension lift

A Spring Over suspension lift requires:

perches. Not too expensive. I recommend welded-on perches.

longer shocks. You may need to relocate the shock mounts

longer brakelines. You can use rubber brakelines from other makes (don't go to the salvage yard for these!) as extensions.

driveshaft spacers. Extended driveshaft tail pieces are a better choice and are available at several of the popular Vendors.

Some sort of modified draglink or - better yet - a drop pittman arm or over-the-top (OTT) steering system. The drop pittman and the the OTT system will eliminate bumpsteer. A "Z"-type draglink will not. You can drive your truck with a "Z" or similar draglink but every time you hit a bump on regular roads, the steering wheel will twitch in your hands. I put up with it for 5 years...

ZukiKrawlers.com, Zuwharrie.com and Zukiworld.com are good search resources. Of course, my favorite is Ack's FAQ (Ack's FAQ: Suzuki Sidekick and Geo Tracker 4X4 offroading information). Do a search at Ack's for spoa.

I hope that this helps!

Ack
Ack's FAQ
nearly 837 searchable links to Suzuki/Geo modding and maintenence info - including the Tracker FSM Project!
'88 "SJ-416 Samurai"
'11 Ford Transit Connect XLT
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Great info! I appreciate the help. I'll be sure to update everyone on how things go when i buy and install the SPOA...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 02:40 PM
Keyboard Implanted

If you don't mind cutting your sami up a little, you could also opt for a "virtual lift", where you basically take a sazall and open your fender wells to clear bigger tires.

But, SPOA is probably going to be your best bet.

88.5 Samuri JX Buggy
'96 Tracker 4-Door family wheeler

The ZookiMelt Guy!!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 06:45 PM

its up to what you like

i looked at a spring under my self i was going to use every thing just do some re fabing drop the brake line mounts use the factroy shocks if i had to extend drive shafts i would just grind off the weld on the drive shafts and pull them out a bit or extend the a inch or two. the biggest thing is spring perches as to the angle you weld them back on if your out you will get a dead spot in the stearing so if you towed it with a tow bar it will not stear on its own. i had a run in with this problem when buddy re welded his on cummings 4x4 he changed the pitch and now theres a two handed stearing wheel in it hahaha . as for stearing parts i am not sure your not droping it a whole lot i would try factory but then again it maybe out a lot . i got a 85 sj 410 with 65 k on it i dont want to mod it but but deep in side i do i want to put a rocklobster it and weld the rims to a daton transport rim and big rig ice tires on it with a underspring lift and a inch or two body lift but then i got a jx long body that i could mod out but its not sea worthy hahaha then again you could do what purevil71 said cut the fenders wells out its up to you how far you want to go if you try the underspring i would love to hear how it goes sorrry if i miss spell anything i am a shop prodigy not an english teacher cheers
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 08:32 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Steering and suspension lift...

jdskull has made an important point regarding any suspension lift:

Whatever you do, you must keep the pinion angles stock to avoid u-joint damage and - in the case of the front axle - avoid changing the caster angle. The caster angle, if not kept at factory specs, will cause poor handling and make flat-towing difficult, if not dangerous.

Go to Ack's FAQ and do a search for caster for info on caster and driveshaft for info on driveline operating along with other useful links.

I hope that this helps!

Ack
Ack's FAQ
nearly 837 searchable links to Suzuki/Geo modding and maintenence info - including the Tracker FSM Project!
'88 "SJ-416 Samurai"
'11 Ford Transit Connect XLT
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

i've heard that the rocky road SPOA perches will keep the factory pinion angles and the correct geometry. is this true? Ive also read some stories where people have purchased their kit and had to grind a considerable amount off the front SPOA perches in order for their rig to even steer...

as for as cutting up the zuk to make room i've already cut the front bumper ends off at the turn signal lights and plan on cutting the factory fender flare lips off...
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 12:23 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator View Post
i've heard that the rocky road...
Oh no, here we go.

Believe half of what you see, a 1/4 of what you hear, and nothing that you read on web pages on a olive green background.

Stay clear of RRO. Plenty of other places to get well-made stuff from, and in a timely manner.

Yankee Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode