Fixing up my sammy. Advice? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 01:08 AM Thread Starter

Fixing up my sammy. Advice?

Hey i have a 91 suzuki samurai JL with 79k miles on it and i have decided to make it into a project and fix it up. The first thing is that it occasionaly squeals when i let off the clutch, any idea what this is. Is my clutch breaking? Im new at this so yeah. Also i want to lift it 3 inches and was thinking of buying this suspension kit

3" Suspension System, 1981-95 Samurai SJ410 and SJ413 models|Zaib4x4.Com

and getting some mechanic buds of mine to help me install it. Is it a good one? It sounds good and i read some reviews and they say its pretty good and easy to install. Then i was going to grab some Hankook all terrain tires. Do i need to regear my axles tho? Cuz im 19 and live with my GF so i have no money at all and im on a very tight budget, so i cant really afford it right now. Will i break anything if i dont regear my stock axles? I dont drive fast and im careful when im off roading. Well any advice and answers to my questions would be awesome! Thanks guys =)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 11:07 AM
Can't Get Enough

Hey Uber...

If $ is really tight, consider this:

You can gain 3" lift just buy doing a SPOA (spring over axle conversion).

This entails just switching the axles from the top of the leaf springs to the bottom of them. You will need to purchase some new spring perches to weld on Check here Sky Mfg

Keep the OE shock plates and re-install the stock shocks at the higher location, buy some longer brake lines to make up for the 3" lift. Get a 'Z' bar to account for the steering change. Then go get yourself some 29" or 30" tires and you should be able to have a whole lotta fun with that and save a bundle to boot.

Good Luck!

billybob_CA
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

im trying to fit 31"s on my sammy could a SPOA do 4 inches?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 07:21 PM
Can't Get Enough

spoa with 31's will do just fine. i had 32's on my zuk with just a basic spoa with only a little rubbing of the springs

AOL IM: Freebird01JM ICQ#18103928
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 05:01 PM
Can't Get Enough

Ya... What Freebird said... you can squeeze the tires that you're looking for under it. My point was that you can lift & wheel for very little $$$, doing the SPOA as mentioned earlier can be done for as little as $100 or so (without tires & wheels) Shucks with 30x9.5's you could prolly put those on the stock wheels that you have now and not worry too much...if'n you got the xtra cash pop for the 31x10.50's with 15x8 wheels and rock it.

billybob_CA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode