carb problems - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

carb problems

a few weeks ago i started havin major carb problems on my stock 87 sammy. i had a horrible miss and a complete lack of power. I figured out that the secondary barrel wasn't opening due to lack of vacuum. I tried taking the carb off to clean it but it seems impossible to get a wrench around the studs. temporarily i have the secondary running off the distributor vacuum advance port on the carb and it runs great and seems to have alot of extra power. is this harmfull to my engine? Has anyone else done this temp. fix before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 08:14 PM

i had the same problems

i have 2 zukis i have had nothing but carb problems they are pron to hang ups becuse of drit i got sick of it so i went to the bone yard and got a carb of a nissan or toyoda wagon of some sort it bolded on , i had to use 2 inch 8mm studs all vacum lines worked the same parts . i had to bring the air cover up an inch becuse of an electric choke but the carb works great no more stalling and bad idling and power loss. i get the same gas mileage and a lot more power carbs of some toys or nissan fork lifts will work to theres no need to put a big carb mock up on mine cost me 5 bucks and about 2 hours had to make the studs and drill the throtle cable hole do dad out so the zuki cable would fit.

jd
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

thanks for your help. i have access to many carbs but i cant get the stock sammy carb off. 2 of the bolts are rounded off and the other 2 are impossible to get a wrench/socket around... any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 01:01 PM

yes

you can pound on a smaller socket or cut a grove in it with a dremil tool to fit a flat screwdriver in it or grind the tops off them any way you can then pull the card off and the blots are long so you can grab them with vise grips.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 11:06 PM
Keyboard Implanted

carb problems

Rerouting your vacuum lines is not the best thing to do. It just causes confusion and problems down the road when something else goes wrong.

With a little patience, you CAN get that carburetor off the intake manifold.

A rebuild kit can go a long way to restoring a Hitachi.

Also, check out the vacuum line mapping article at Ack's FAQ. Do a search for vacuum to find out if you (or the previous owner - if any) has something hooked up wrong...

If you want to replace the Hitachi outright, the MY-Side kit and a 40mm sidedraft carburetor from a Harley-Davidson motorcycle is the current favorite. You can find out more about it at:

ZOR Zuks Off Road

I hope that this helps!

Ack
Ack's FAQ
nearly 837 searchable links to Suzuki/Geo modding and maintenence info - including the Tracker FSM Project!
'88 "SJ-416 Samurai"
'11 Ford Transit Connect XLT
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again ACK... i should have stated that this carb was ran for a few years without an air filter or housing. It loads up really bad now over anything besides pavement. I am satisfied with the power of the stock carb, just not the problems i've been having. I guess i need to be patient and try to remove it properly, and rebuild it. It just gets frustrating for me working on these little engines with limited space. I guess I got spoiled from always working on small block chevys
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 07:26 AM
Keyboard Implanted

carbs...

When I read limited space, I thought "small attached garage" - which is my situation...

I have never worked on "big iron", but your comment about small block Chevys made me think about all those tear-downs that I have seen on Spike TV's "Power Block". Taking a classic American V-8 apart really IS simpler - everything appears to be easier to get to.

I always thought that removing the carb or intake on a Samurai engine was hard because my elbow kept bumping into the wall.

Good luck with your rebuild!

Ack
Ack's FAQ
nearly 837 searchable links to Suzuki/Geo modding and maintenence info - including the Tracker FSM Project!
'88 "SJ-416 Samurai"
'11 Ford Transit Connect XLT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode