1.9td swap 4th gear vibration - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

1.9td swap 4th gear vibration

Hi guys im new here.. I just got done putting a 1.9td in my samurai and everything works great except 4th gear between 30-35 mph I get a bad vibration when accelerating. Ive tried changing trans oil to synthetic and that made it worse. The other gears are pretty quiet. Is it just time for a rebuild? Any help is appreciated thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 08:25 PM
Apprentice

4th gear vibration

What transmission are you using? If it is stock Samurai it sounds like your center bearing is getting loose. How is 5th gear? Have you checked your rear trans mount, transfer case mounts. Also if the alignment(Engine&trans) if off just a little will amplify any loose U-joints and/or mounts.

Batteries not included, Your mileage will vary.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

I am using the stock samurai trans. The only mount in question might be the rear trans mount it looks like it might be getting pushed back slightly because the center bolt isn't in the center when looking at it from the bottom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunttorque View Post
I am using the stock samurai trans. The only mount in question might be the rear trans mount it looks like it might be getting pushed back slightly because the center bolt isn't in the center when looking at it from the bottom.
Hi Friend,just joined this forum.Did u do any work to your drive shafts [shorten/lenghten] because if the linen up was not done properly or the machine work that could be your problem,these suzuki samurai drive shafts are very sensitive.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 11:06 AM
Apprentice

Vibration?

Still have it? If you solved it let us know, if not I just developed a low speed vibration myself and I am now changing my u-joints, one was really bad! I could not detect any excessive play in my driveshaft but when I unbolted it the u-joints were so tight they would only move with a lot of effort. If you ever change a u-joint Suzuki OEM u-joints last the longest and are the best, I would not use any other.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Yep I still have it.. I'm going crazy trying to figure it out. I pulled the rubber boot off the tcase shifter so I could see the middle shaft. I put the tcase in neutral and the trans in 4th and its definitely coming from that intermediate shaft. I'm just hoping the engine conversion plate isn't off throwing everything out of wack. The u joints seem solid

Last edited by grunttorque; 04-19-2009 at 03:41 PM.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 08:01 PM
Apprentice

You might try the intermediate shaft, they can go bad, especially with that much torque being applied to it. Samurai transmissions are notorious for having bad center bearings. Rebuilding one isn't all that hard either.

I heard I was getting a sweater for Christmas. Too bad, I was hoping for a moaner or a screamer.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 02:24 PM

I had a similar problem a few years back on my 87 sammy... Ended up being the pilot bearing
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 11:15 AM
Can't Get Enough

Have you considered replacing the mounting arms with re-inforced ones (mighty kong) or some other? There is alot of force and those arms on the T/C twist easily.

Just a thot

billybob_CA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode