What have I bought?? 1984 Samurai Help - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

What have I bought?? 1984 Samurai Help

Just picked it up, bought it off of Ebay, I have had many many Samurai's in the past but this one is different, its an 84, has a couple of problems, it wont shift right, seems like the transmission bushing problem experienced in the 88 and later models, Can you anyone tell me if the transmission fix for the later models will work on this 84 model, what else is different about it, different motor? different trans? Will I be able to upgrade to a 1.6 with this model ?

Thanks

Mark in Ky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 12:19 PM
Keyboard Implanted

T-case is a baby lobster, and can be grafted to make a rocklobster.

Should have a t-case e-brake. Might have the '86 Sammy D/S yoke pattern, or it might have the smaller one from the 410s.

Mark, you ain't no youngin' with this. You know you can do anything if you put the noggin to use. Lose the 1.0L motor AND tranny, and up to a 1.6L with an auto, run a doubler into the stock 410 t-case and you'll be styling.

Yankee Tim
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Its a 84 SJ410

got it running today, is it a 1.0 ? It has a sidedraft carb on it, I have the starter off to have the bendex fixed, the trans shifter is out and i am waiting on the bushing to fix it. Pulled the carb of of it and I am going to stick it in a gallon of carb cleaner because its been sitting. Any additional info about what I have would be appreciated. I am thinking (at least at first) that I am going to keep it bone stock, its pretty cool, if I get tired of that I will mod it out, I used to have a beast Samurai so I may get the urge again

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 03:36 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmartinbirdie View Post
is it a 1.0 ?
I dunno. Does it got 3 cylinders? Pics help dude.

Yankee Tim
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Its a 4 banger

4 cyl for sure, side draft carb, 4 speed I will work on some photos

Mark
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 07:09 AM
Keyboard Implanted

1.0L 993cc (a whopping 61 cubic inches!)

I'm not sure if the bellhousing is the same as the 413 5-speed. If it is, it's prolly the same easy 1.6L swap as the Sammy has. If not, then consider a tranny swap, and in that case, might as well swap in a Tracker tranny (I'd suggest the auto as I like them in the rocks).

While some '84s have the earlier t-case which is nothing like the Sam, most '84's T-case are essentially a SJ413 case with different gears, being lower in both high and low range. The center e-brake makes swapping in rear discs easier.

If I remember, the axles aren't the same, being narrower than a Sammy (I think thats correct). If that's the case, uprgraded shafts won't work (TT is selling the kick-arse Chromolys for $239 a pair!).

You got a real cool grille, and the mirrors swap easily onto the side of the windshield cowl making door removal street legal (and good looking!).

Yankee Tim
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 12:11 PM
Addict

Bellhousing and gearbox is quite different from the 413/sammy

2000 Vitara 1.6, 2" lift, 3" body lift, winch, snorkel, safari rack, 33" MTs, rear discs, steel front axle, 5:83s
SJ413K Pick Up, 1.6 conversion.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 07:27 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Holland View Post
Bellhousing and gearbox is quite different from the 413/sammy
Well, there you have it!

Throw the whole motor and tranny on the scrap metal pile, and start the build. Hmm 16V 1.6 and bell housing. Volvo vacuum controlled 4sp auto into the 410 t-case, followed by some Sammy axles in SPOA config, stuffed with Chromo's and ARBs along side 5.12's spinning some 33" Pit Bull Rockers.

Mark, can you have this done by month's end?

Yankee Tim
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 05:20 PM
Keyboard Implanted

don't get too hasty with that transmission...

...because you can - or so I have been told - slap a 3-cylinder 1.0 out of a Metro in front of that transmission.

Reliable sources (Smuz?) have told me that the bolt pattern on the rear of the 4-cyl 1.0 is the same as the 1.0 3-cylinder. If you have been to the pick-n-pulls, you know that there are plenty of engines available. Metros tend to arrive at the salvage yards with rusted suspension components instead of blown engines.

With the Metro engine you can have fuel injection! And maybe semi-spectacular MPG!

I bet that Hawks has a tranny rebuild kit.

Something to think about...

Ack
Ack's FAQ
nearly 837 searchable links to Suzuki/Geo modding and maintenence info - including the Tracker FSM Project!
'88 "SJ-416 Samurai"
'11 Ford Transit Connect XLT

Last edited by ackerdackerly; 10-18-2008 at 05:23 PM.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 05:31 PM
Addict

In the UK we tend to fit a 38mm sidedraught carb (SU) and a header and exhaust. That makes a big difference in power and the SU is quite good on fuel. Back in the 80s there were a couple of turbo conversions available.
The axles are narrower than a Sammy and the diffs are not interchangable either, SJ413 axles do fit but are higher geared. I have a set of LJ80 diffs which do fit the 410 (if you can find any) and drop the gearing a fair bit. We had the 410 up to 1988, later models have a 5sp gearbox.
The block is cast iron, I have back problems and struggled to lift it. I didn't have the same problems lifting the all ally 1.6 a couple of years later.

2000 Vitara 1.6, 2" lift, 3" body lift, winch, snorkel, safari rack, 33" MTs, rear discs, steel front axle, 5:83s
SJ413K Pick Up, 1.6 conversion.

Last edited by James_Holland; 10-18-2008 at 05:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode