Tracker Problem - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 06:21 PM
paintsquirter

Tracker Problem

I have a '95 tracker that had this problem when I bought it. It has no take off power at all. If you baby the throttle up to about 3000 rpm it will run great. Hills are almost at a stand still! I have checked the egr and egr modulater, catalytic convertor, replaced the tps, replaced the oxygen sensor, replaced the fuel filter, and replaced the air filter. Lately it has gotten hard to start. It cranks for a while then when it starts it sounds flooded, if you mash the gas it dies. I am out of ideas. If anyone else has ran into this and can help I would greatly appreciate some advise! I fogot to mention it is a 1.6, 16 valve, 3 speed automatic. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by paintsquirter; 09-29-2008 at 06:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 06:44 PM
paintsquirter

I found the problem. Someone replaced the timing belt at some point and crossthreaded the crank bolt. The bolt came out a little and let the sprocket flop around till it ate the seal and the timing belt jumped a couple of teeth, instead of fixing the problem they just advanced the timing to get it to run good and sold it! The people I bought it off of drove it for about 2 years before it messed up. Hope this might help someome else who runs into this problem.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 01:22 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Crank bolt loose key wallowed - timing belt change

Yep, that's a common problem - only because some pinheads seem to think that those 5 smaller bolts on the crankshaft accessory pulley would be harder to remove than the one BIG bolt on the end of the crankshaft!

If anyone is fortunate enough to run across this post in a search for timing belt help, DO NOT REMOVE THE BOLT ON THE END OF THE CRANK TO GET THE TIMING BELT COVER OFF!

Always remove the crankshaft accessory pulley by removing the 5 smaller bolts (4 on a 1.3) that hold the crankshaft accessory pulley to the crankshaft timing belt pulley. This is the best - and official - way to get the timing belt cover off.

If the keyway isn't too wallowed, you may be able to fix it with some JB Weld, a new key and a bit of slot refinishing.

Ack
Ack's FAQ
nearly 837 searchable links to Suzuki/Geo modding and maintenence info - including the Tracker FSM Project!
'88 "SJ-416 Samurai"
'11 Ford Transit Connect XLT

Last edited by ackerdackerly; 10-16-2008 at 08:04 AM. Reason: clarification of descriptions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 08:30 PM
paintsquirter

That is exactly how I fixed it! I went ahead and replaced the belt and sprockets and the timing cover because it was ate up also. I just wish I had checked the timing before I replaced the tps and oxygen sensor!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 09:13 PM

enlarged keyway slot on one side of crank nose

I asked around to the suzuki dealers when this happened to me and they said it never happens, but what I found is: the belt breaks and gets stuffed up against the lower pulley and crank gear. It wedges hard enough to make the keyway enlarge on the one side the load is exerted, which in turn lets the gear twist back and forth. After the new belt is installed it gets worse, because no one replaces the crank gear or key thinking it's ok. After starting the bolt either loosens or brakes and the timing changes as the key lets the gear move and the belt pushes forward and put slots in the cover. If you order parts do it with a gm dealer for a tracker the same Parts at the suzuki dealers are almost double. Remember timing belts changed sooner on stick shift suzuki/trakers/x90's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode