Low, Low Budget 1.6 Install - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Low, Low Budget 1.6 Install

I bought an 86 TT 4 years ago that is rust free. It has been sitting out in our place in Nevada for the last four years, so I finally decided to do something with it. It had 50k original miles and is extremely clean, with a large crack in the side of the block from not enough anti-freeze in the winter. I have several 1.6 engines and purchased a 1.6 8V motor for another project and didn't use it, so I decided why not use it in the TT. Being extremely cheap I thought I would try to do this one at the lowest possible cost.
To start, I took the 1.3 adapter plate and put it against the 1.6 block.
[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\Nina\My Documents\1.6 Swap\Project2[/IMG]
The two top holes were enlarged with a die grinder, the bottom two were notched to fit the block.
I then, with the plate secured on the motor, checked the 1.3 starter, wouldn't go, so I ground about a 1/8" deep relief in the block. Close but not there yet so I removed some from the starter. After several trial fittings it fit perfect. (It now cranks exactly as it did before, very smooth and no strange noises)
I then placed the 1.6 block on to the Samurai trans. motor mounts were easy, as I have used the Dodge mounts before.
Before mounting the block I drilled the two top bolt holes out for the larger 1.6 bolts. So now I have the short block in with the two top bolts and after some thought I made some adapter plates to secure the bottom 1.6 bolts to the Samurai trans (I am now duplicating them from 3/8" plate ) Ran out of space on the forum will continue on a new page.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Project2.jpg (72.4 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 1.6 swap 002.jpg (32.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Project4.jpg (27.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg motor mount.jpg (83.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 1.6 swap 003.jpg (29.7 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by AUGETER; 09-14-2009 at 06:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Low,Low 1.6

Having removed the Samurai trans studs I the used small length bolts to secure my adapters to the trans and used the 1.6 bolts into the adapters. easy and quick. ( I would not do this for a trail rig as the stresses would be too great, but for a normally driven DD it should be fine. I will see)
After installing the head I thought this would be a good time to test a Harley CV carb set-up. I took the 1.6 intake and bored a hole in the side welded in a pipe, blocked off the top, mounted the carb and then fabricated a support for the carb and the stock Sportster air cleaner. I know it sounds easy but I spent quite a while thinking it through and about 3 hours of fabrication. (I have made several of these so it is not too difficult for me now and I have found the 45 or 48 idle jets with the needle set at the second notch and 195 main jets are good for my engines) The Purelator 4lb pump mounted in the rear on rubber isolators a G3583 bypass fuel filter and it is perfect and no regulator needed, and it is quiet!
I used an old Pacesetter header I had and now will have to build the rest of the exhaust system when I return to Nevada. Just ran out of time. The final tuning and other refinements will be done in the next several months as now it moves under it's own power and after the exhaust will be streetable. As you can see I did not spend much on this install which was my object. I have about $600 total to date and will spend about $50 on the exhaust.
I like the Harley carb more than the SU's I have used before as the Harley has an accelerator pump and my motor starts on the first revolution, faster than fuel injector motors! Hope you have found this informative and entertaining.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.6 adaptor.JPG (3.4 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg 1.6 swap 005.jpg (42.5 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by AUGETER; 09-17-2008 at 07:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode