New and clueless - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 03:43 PM
TrackerFan

New and clueless

Hey everyone!

I've been wheelin' for a couple of years now with some various friends but have been beating the heck out of my stock '98 Tracker.

I've finally been able to pull some funds together and was wondering where the best place to start modding would be.

The engine and tranny are in good condition so no work would be needed with them but I was leaning towards getting a lift and tires first. Is this a good place to start or do some more seasoned members have better advice?

I was looking at the TrailTough SAS kit for my Tracker and although it has a hefty price sticker on it I can't seem to stop thinking about how monsterous it would make my Tracker.

But as I said before I'm relatively clueless about all of this so any help would be great.

Thanks in advanced!

-TrackerFan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 06:46 AM
Enthusiast

i dont have an immediate answer, but i will ask what others are bound to ask first. what kind of wheeling do you do?

mud, rocks, sand ? that can effect what you get first. also what size tires are you planning on running?

the lift and tires are a definate beggining point. might also think about gears. and i have heard a many of people say - after wheeling a stock rig for many years- that a locker got great bang for the buck.

just some questions so maybe we can help you

Different Strokes for Different Folks

90 Sami - MULE trailrig

Remember: History is written by the victor.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 09:25 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Think long term and what you want from your rig. There are many on this board (me included) who have spent MANY times over the price of the trailslayer swapping in and out different suspensions.

Yankee Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 11:33 AM
TrackerFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule_Zuk View Post
what kind of wheeling do you do?

mud, rocks, sand ? that can effect what you get first. also what size tires are you planning on running?
Thanks for the response and mostly right now I've been wheelin' over rocks here in the Colorado Rocky Mountains.

I also think that I'd like to see at least 32" on my rig maybe even bigger if they can fit comfortably. After reading some other articles it sounds like 33" sit well with the TrailTough set-up but I could be mistaken.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 12:52 PM
Can't Get Enough

Careful with the tire sizes... on those stocker suspensions the angles are too radical to provide any kind of dependability IF you plan on staying with the IFS... OTOH, If you don't mind refabbing all of the front and rear suspension... straight axles are the way to go (toy)...

Cheapest quikie fix is to do a small lift 3" go 30-31's and get lockers... she'll surprise you where she can go.

just my $.02

billybob_CA
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 01:14 PM
Novice

I wouldnt bother with coil spacers or anything like that. I got for my 2 door tracker 4 door 3inch coil springs reason for this was 4 doors are alittle stiffer and I plan on putting on aftermarket bumpers so the extra stiffness would help with coil sag. Then I bought locally after I installed the coils and measured what lengths I would need shocks, then built a rear a-arm spacer, flipped the strut mounts, with stut spacers. tossed some 31x10.5's on it and boom I was done.

here is a link to the build to get it to where I have it today. I have alot of photos on it.

Zuknation.net Forums-viewtopic-John's 1994 Geo Tracker buildup thread.

http://4x4auctions.net Online auction site for all our 4x4 trucks, parts, and related products, with free item listings!
http://zuknation.net Online Suzuki/Geo community
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode