Questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 08:46 PM
88Zuki

Questions

Hi everyone,

I just joined and had some questions, I have a 88 samurai and its stock and has been fun for the past year. But I'm ready to start modding. What year 1.6 liter to look for? I know the 16v version is more sought after but when I am looking at junk yards what year vehicles do I look out for? I am guessing Trackers and and other Suzuki's. What other models to look out for?

I am also thinking of putting a new top,seats, and a 2-inch shackle lift on it (with bigger tires). What are some good places/sites to go to find the best buy/quality? Thank you for your reply's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 09:17 PM
Keyboard Implanted

If it were me, I'd skip the shackle lift and just do a SPOA instead. A 2" shackle is only going to give you about 1" of lift anyway. Plus the SPOA will ride/flex better anyway.

Just my .02

88.5 Samuri JX Buggy
'96 Tracker 4-Door family wheeler

The ZookiMelt Guy!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 09:52 PM
Apprentice

Wellcome! you are looking for a Side/Tracker 1989-1998. The 8V engine is a throttle body injected engine. 16 V is multi-port injection. I would stay with these and up to 95 these engines were OBD I 96-98 are OBDII thus the 89-95 engines are more desireable as it is easier to deal with the earlier injection/smog system. Geo metros and Suzuki Sprints along with the Suzuki Esteem are sidewinders and should be a last resort as there is considerably more changes to be made to make them work. For a top just search for BestTop, little more money but well worth it, you will never regret buying one. If you do a search for the mod's you want you will run accross several good vendors as their products are well discussed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 07:42 AM
88Zuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by purevil71 View Post
If it were me, I'd skip the shackle lift and just do a SPOA instead. A 2" shackle is only going to give you about 1" of lift anyway. Plus the SPOA will ride/flex better anyway.

Just my .02

What is a SPOA? And thank you guys for the replys.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 08:59 AM
Keyboard Implanted

SPOA=SPring Over Axle lift. If your Sami is 100% bone stock, then it's currently SPring Under Axle (or SPUA), by making it SPOA you'll gain 2"-4" of lift depending on the shape of your springs and the type of spring perches you use. More than enough for 31" tires.

88.5 Samuri JX Buggy
'96 Tracker 4-Door family wheeler

The ZookiMelt Guy!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 06:39 PM
88Zuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by purevil71 View Post
SPOA=SPring Over Axle lift. If your Sami is 100% bone stock, then it's currently SPring Under Axle (or SPUA), by making it SPOA you'll gain 2"-4" of lift depending on the shape of your springs and the type of spring perches you use. More than enough for 31" tires.
Really I have heard of jeeps doing that. Is there a rite up for that or a kit to convert it over. Also would 31's be a little much for the old 1.3? It runs good I was thinking of doing a lift and some bigger tires but didn't want to go to big because I was just going to run the 1.3 till I found a 1.6. My goal is nothing to big just something to add a little more fun. Thanks again for all your replies.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 11:33 AM
Keyboard Implanted

well heres my opinion on the subject. the MOST BANG FOR THE BUCK is a rear locker. disconnect the sway bar and have some decent tires. simply amazing where you will go with a simple set up. ive had several sammys on 33s n 35s. the most bang i have had for the buck with enjoyment for the return is a stocker i got from my bro. has 29in swampers on it and a rear locker. takes me EVERYWHERE i want to go.

as far as vendors who would carry a spoa kit for ya, somebody else will have to help you there. i havent checked out vendors for anything in over 4 years. i either have the parts here, build them or go to somebody on here who has *used* what i dont have.

Head chef for izook eventshon
Do unto others as you want done to you!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 06:41 PM
88Zuki

I just wanted to run some bigger tires but didn't think I could run much bigger than the 205's that are on it now without raising it some? Were I get my tires from the guy told me to get some decent off road tire I need to move up to a 235 tire but might rub without raising it some? Thanks again.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 07:06 PM
Keyboard Implanted

yeah, your tire guy is right, with hard wheeling, 235s will rub a little bit. i know first hand, but i run the snot out of my rigs. in the end everybody will have a different opinion as to what to suggest. it all will depend on what you want in the end. what kind of terrain? what size tires overall are you looking towards? you run rocks, mud, trails or what.

Head chef for izook eventshon
Do unto others as you want done to you!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 10:13 PM
Dennis

Stay away from the shackle reversal lift. I have one from calmini and let me say i wish i had saved my money. Nothing worse than trying to climb over something and haging up on your shackle tower. A SOAL is a great way to go. I my self am saving for a coil over. However it did alow for 30" tires but they rubbed the springs till i got bigger back spaced rims. It's a vicious circle one mod leads to another then another. So far 4.16:1 gears and spool best mods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode