Samurai engine swap 1.6 or 4.3 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Samurai engine swap 1.6 or 4.3

I bought a early 88 Samurai this last winter. I have been fixing it up, new top, reseal motor, etc. I put a 5" spoa last month with 31" tires. It went from powerless to really powerless. I have been reading about engine swaps for a while now and have convinced myself into doing it. I just need to make up my mind on witch one. I have aquired several misc. parts including 1.6 8v short block (needs rebuilt), I have wrecked 93 s10 with a 65k 4.3 TBI (I bought for parts a year ago and have just used the seats). Has anyone done a 4.3 swap without buying one of the $700 to $2300 kits from RR or Lighning something from FL? I think I can do the 4.3 for about the same as it would take me to rebuild the 1.6, I am going to look for the 200r4 this weekend at salvages. Any advice or feedback willl be greatly appreciated.

I have a 350 powered CJ7 before this, but I sold it last summer. I really like the little ZUK. I think it is more fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 08:21 PM
Apprentice

1.6 or 4.3

Much has to do with what you want and expect. the 4.3 will give you the performance of your previous ride. But the cost is quite high as you will be breaking things as fast as your right foot rests on the floor! So then you can swap Toy axles and coils. If you put enough money and time into it you will surpass the cost and performance of your previous ride, why? Going with the 1.6 will give you IMHO the most bang for the buck.
I have read many people who, after having had a highly modified Zuke for off-roading, buy a stocker and after wheeling it a time or two comment on how much fun a stock Zuke is. Stock Zuke =Big Fun Factor/low cost.
Modified Zuke = only limited by your re$ource$.
I have a 87 TT/16V 4spd auto DD.
Under construction,88 conv 1.6 8V 3spd auto for off-road.
Good luck and Wellcome ! ! !
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 05:40 PM
Apprentice

Thumbs up

I had a 1600 16v swap for almost 8 years. Great truck, good mileage and less breakage than the 4300. Personally, I'd go down the 16v route if I were you. I would again if I wasn't into oil burners now.

I heard I was getting a sweater for Christmas. Too bad, I was hoping for a moaner or a screamer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 06:52 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I already have the running 4.3 so I think I will go for it. It would cost me about the same to rebuild the 1.6 block I have and buy the adapter. It needs bored and the crank turned. I'll keep you posted when I get it going. I will be needing to get rid of some of the stock parts after I'm done.

Mike
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 01:54 AM
dayne66

post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 12:45 PM
Vagabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakoCJ7 View Post
I put a 5" spoa last month with 31" tires. It went from powerless to really powerless.
If you went to 31s and did not change the gearing, then the gearing is your problem, not the engine.

If you install a 4.3, the Sammi drive train will not handle it and you'll be breaking things. Besides, one of the advantages of the Sammi is the light weight. A 4.3 will weigh too much and you'll have to change the suspension. Go with a 1.6
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

I got the 4.3 in and have been driving it around a bit. It is ok on the road but heats a bit in town with lots of stop and go. I was wondering if anyone out there has done this and what radiator they used. The one I have fits but is a little small. I was not wanting to have to spend $500 for one. Any info on one that will fit would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 11:19 AM
Keyboard Implanted

first off stay away from the 200r4, you will have to keep you case divorced and low. Your best bet is a 700r4 and adapt it to a Toy case.. I have done lots of these swaps and I will tell you to do it right wont be cheap. If down and dirty is what you want stay 1.6. If you want a more power then you know wha tto do with and crack a tire loose with a small crack of the pedal then go 4.3.. If you want pics, go here
The newest project. Probably not dial up friendly lots of pages and pics...
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Sorry it has taken so long to respond, summers are busy. I have it almost done. It runs good, I am going to need to lift it a little more for more clearance on the front dive shaft. I have been driving it around for the last several months. I installed 2" lift shackles last weekend and my front steering hit. I was wondering if I need to purchase a high steer kit or a Z link in order to get the front to clear. I have a Calmini drop pitman arm. I will try to post pics next time.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 12:14 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Post up some pictures...
I've done a 2.3L v6 conversion and it was okay... I should of done a 3.8L swap, but at that time I couldn't find any for a good price.
People are right, the v6 makes things real easy on the trail, a stock Zuk is much more fun and you don't brake as much when getting on the throttle!!!
If I were to do a motor swap again, I would go with the 1.6L or a diesel motor, but I've heard the oil burners are not cheap to swap over!!

-BRIAN
My Web-Page
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode