Off Roading Forums banner

Newbie from Idaho

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  MTGunner 
G
#1 ·
Tomorrow I'm picking up my first Sammi down in L.A. and driving it back home. Once I get it there's going to be some stuff I'll play with so I guess I'll be around looking for advice, etc.

The enginehas been rebuilt( long block or short I don't know), replaced water pump, oil pump, alternator, carb either rebuilt or replaced, replaced entire clutch assembly(pressure plate,disc, throw out bearing and pilot shaft bearing, transmission and transfer case(including all new bearings, bushings, and seals, new radiator, fan clutch, entire exhaust system, brakes, upholstery, and soft top. The body is free of rust, dents and scratches but the paint is a bit dull.....gee whizzzz, I can live with that for awhile.

The owner tells me that while towing it behind his RV, (I think I understood this) one of the support wheels in the rear went out and caused the Sammi rear tire take a hell of a ride. I read a little about these Sammi's being towed in N and didn't take it all in but maybe you guys know. This will not be towed by me anywhere so I didn't pay much attention to it.

I'm putting a great amount of trust in this seller but he seems to be as anal as I am and my gut feeling is it'll be fine. I don't want to make a rock crawler out of this Sammi as I have a Rokon that'll take me anywhere I have the kahoonas to go. But I will need to do a tire change to start out with and will have to look into this Web carb thing as well. From doing my homework I see the best way to get more power to start with: a K&H air filter, a MSD Ignition System, a Tri-Y Header exhaust and a 2" free flowing pipe. That being said, I just wonder what % changes will 'REALLY' take place?

This is going to be my hunting rig and run around town with. I need to figure out how to mount my high lift jack and maybe get the spare tire up on a cargo roof. I have a small little trailer I can pull to carry the Rokon and other gear so maybe I'll not need the cargo rack. Here's what I have been driving for the last 20 years or so

Big change but 10 mpg is no longer a write off as I recently retired....hence a small rig I can take the dogs hunting in.

Hope this all comes out as this is my first post here. When I get back I'll drop in again for an update. Wish me luck.:grin:

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome, Idaho Newbie!

The first thing that you need to do with your samurai, is drive it stock offroad. That will give you an idea of what a wonderful truck you have without spending a dime!

I went through the "buy stuff to make it more peppy" phase and I offer this advice:

1. Unless the engine is truly in great shape, begin thinking about swapping it out for the larger 1.6 L engine. An 8-valve and a Weber is nice. An 8-valve and a "Harley carb" kit like ZOR's MySide is better (no stalling problems on steep inclines) and a 1.6 16-valve EFI is best.

2. An aftermarket header and larger exhaust system (2" is good) will help in the power department.

3. If you are wanting to regear, start with the difs. Some here would disagree and say "buy a set of transfer case gears", but I got good results without overloading the drivetrain by installing Tracker/Sidekick 4.625 front Ring and pinion sets. You can always pop for transfer case gears later if you want to.

4. There is a place on the internet that you should check out. It's called Ack's FAQ. It has a searchable database of links to just about every useful piece of information about Suzuki offroading. It's the answer to every newbie's questions. I know -- because this former newbie built and runs it. :D

Ack's FAQ: Suzuki Samurai, Sidekick and Geo Tracker 4X4 offroading information

Welcome to the ORC Geo Forum and welcome to the world of Suzuki 4x4 Offroading!

G
#3 ·
Spot on with your advice...drive it first

I have a Harley with about the same size engine so I'm sure I'm in for a surprise with a Sammi.....1/3 the weight with the same size engine....wow. I've already 'tricked out' the Harley with the carb and exhaust w/o messing with the original power.

This time around with the Sammi I'll see what will happen stock but I'd like to know what I can expect with dropping the guidas into a Sammi as you suggest.....and thank you for your suggestions. My true 'rock crawler' is a 'Rokon' which no vehicle...4 wheel or two wheel can even begin to compete with in performance.

I don't think I'll be a rock crawler with the Sammi.....just using it to get back up into the Idaho 'STEEP' mountains where I'll drop off the Rokon and go to out back places no one can go unless they're on a horse.

Sure appreciate your advice.:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.