ZUKI Question??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

ZUKI Question???

I have a few question for you Zuki gurus.

I am building a light weight 4wd tube buggy for my boy. I have the body built and my plans are to run a a 22HP (800cc) aircooled engine that I have mated to a 3 speed tranny. I got the engine and tranny out of a cushman cart.

I am looking for a small divorced x-fer case similar to the Sami case. I have a line on a parts vehicle that I may be able to rob the transfer case and axles out of. My question is what are the axles in the Sami? Ths rig is only going to weight in at 1500lbs with 200lbs of that being passengers so I am not real worried about alot of strength, especially considering the the HP of the motor.

I could possibly even toss the entire drive train of the Sami in the buggy if the engine will fit in the engine compartment.

Brad

2001 TJ Built, Wrecked, then Built Bigger, then rolled and fixed again, now rolled again. Do you see a pattern!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 07:36 PM
Can't Get Enough

i wouldnt see why you couldnt use it...sammy axles arent too bad in a super light weight configuration and are cheap to come by. they are 3.73 ratio stock but thats pretty easy to change with sidekick 3rds

AOL IM: Freebird01JM ICQ#18103928
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 02:33 PM
Can't Get Enough

Sami Axles

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird01 View Post
i wouldnt see why you couldnt use it...sammy axles arent too bad in a super light weight configuration and are cheap to come by. they are 3.73 ratio stock but thats pretty easy to change with sidekick 3rds

Ya what he said.... the brand is AISIN same as Toyota uses but much lighter. Good gear choices available along with different transfer case combos.

HTH

billybob_CA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 04:03 PM

Your aircooled engine might be a concern pushing that weight onto to rocks at unique angles. Sammi axles are great up till 31's, if going larger than that i would consider toyota axles. Sammi divorced t case has many affordable gearing options, starting at a 4.16 reduction for around 400$, used cheaper. Sammi axles can use tracker third members, out of a stick tracker you could get 5.13's using the front third members only (find two trackers at the yard with sticks, auto's are 4.72) and thats an affordable gear reduction. If this is a trailer only rig then gearing down for that cushman engine is easy, but the cushman tranny??? I dont know much about how strong those are. Easiest thing to do is find a 500$ tracker in the papers. I found a 95 auto for 350$ and a 96 auto for 430$ just keeping my eye out. The 16v mated to the auto with transfer case can be easily modified to mate to the divorced case of a samuria then to toy axles, especially if you have fabricated a tube chassis already.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Right now I do have the tube body built. The tube body without the body panels weighs exact 350lbs. I am using all alunimm panels and floor pan so he total weight of the vehicle will be pretty darn light. The body is 45" wide and 9ft long so I likethe idea of the narrower samurai axles over the toyota even if I'm giving up the strength. My plan is to run 32" to 33" tires right now. The body will be set-upto run 37's or 38's if I decide to go bigger with near everything in the later future.

I am all for the extremely low gearing so the tracker 3rd members would be a good idea that I knew nothng about, thanks! I would actually like to either dual case the buggy, put the 5.6:1 gears in the x-fer case or maybe even dual case with stock gears in one case and lower in the second case. This is actually mainly a play toy for my son so high speed is not my intention. I would be extremly happy with a buggy with a top speed of 20 - 25mph

I am not sure about how well the cushman 3 speed will hold up either under larger tires and the lower gearing. I am more interested in getting the rolling chassis together right now. If I blow the tranny I will prabably go with the tracker 1.6L and transmission later. But this set-up I feel will last until my son gets older or I try to wheel it.

I have a Wrangler running 37's locked front and rear with 3/4tons axes to beat on, so I am not planning to destroy this thing with my wheeling habits anytime soon.

I have a line on 2 sammys, one rolling chassis and the other complete with an engine that will start but not run for pretty darn cheap, so I may just pick them up this week .

Brad

2001 TJ Built, Wrecked, then Built Bigger, then rolled and fixed again, now rolled again. Do you see a pattern!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 10:34 PM

If your running 32 or 33" tires, then dont WASTE any time and get yourself some birfield rings, or your going to pop those axles like i crack my knuckles. Sounds like a great little project, dont tell me, your son is turning 5 yrs old next birthday right?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 04:02 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I echo Max's concern with the air-cooled motor. Being an old VeeDubber before I got into Zooks, going slow with low RPMs will KILL the motor. That's why you never "warm-up" a Beetle.

But for what you are planning, I think the Sammy axle would be MORE than strong enuff for the application. A stock Sammy tips the scales at 2000#s in stock form. With 31"s tires, they are fine. It's when you get up to 33"+ tires, things start to go wrong, mainly front CV joints breaking (they're called 'Birfields'), but that is also considering that by time a Zook is lifted and running 33"s, it usually has 100's of pounds of extra weight from bumpers, skidplates and such, and a fat old bassturd behind the wheel, and maybe one in the beotch seat as well

If you shave the weight down to what you are saying, the survivability of the drivetrain would be increased dramatically. If you wanted to, you could add Calmini Birfield cups to the CV for added strength. Of all the "rings" on the market, these add the most strength. Moly shafts could be added to all for corners for under $600.

And don't let Max scare you about the strength of Sammy axles. He's just bitter as he has several bent anvils around his yard.

Yankee Tim

Last edited by Yankee Tim; 01-09-2008 at 04:04 PM. Reason: I don't believe in censorship!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 07:35 PM
Apprentice

T O Y O T A

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode