"wireless" 4-speed automatic in a sami! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

"wireless" 4-speed automatic in a sami!

In the spirit of trying to bring this forum back to life I am going to cross post this thread, no peeking in the other forum or you will ruin it

I threw this together quick, I am at work. Sorry for the lack of details, I can give more or let this thread die if there is no interest. I think there is some potential in this area that needs to be explored. This set up can be used in a sami, Trackkick or Toyota behind a 1.6 or 22R with a sami, Toyota or Trackkick (?) case.

I've posted a bit about this and got a few E-mails about it, I ran across a few pics and thought I would post them before I lose these too.
I haven't figured everything out yet, but basically there is a series of 4-speed automatics built by Asian Warner that share a similar main core. Some of the applications include Volvo, Toyota and our beloved Trackkick 4-Speed. The auto is excellent off road but because of the complexity of the wiring, most who choose this route are stuck with the Trackkick 3-speed. This is a great transmission off road, but on road the lack of an overdrive is a killer.
Kind of as a side project I did a little research and decided to play around a bit. I got ahold of a Volvo (cheapest/easiest to find, paid $59) to play around with. This version is mechanically controlled, not electronic like the Trackkick 4-speed. So, no wires or computer to hook up. A Trackkick 4-speed bellhousing will bolt right up. This transmission has a flanged output so it would be easy to connect to the sami T-case.
I went a little further and made an adapter to mount a Toyota T-case to it. I did it all in my driveway with $50 worth of aluminum and everyday tools, not too tough. Here are some pics:
http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content?act...ch=60423;image

Bacon is quite wonderful
Bacon is quite good
I would eat it every day
If I freakin could

Last edited by zooky; 01-01-2008 at 09:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Thumbs down

nevermind.
Cant figure out how to post a pic, now I remember why I dont like this format...

Bacon is quite wonderful
Bacon is quite good
I would eat it every day
If I freakin could
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 10:56 PM

So did you put a volvo tranny in? or a volvo's guts in a tracker housing? I pulled a 4 speed out of an x90 but didnt yank the wiring/ecu thinking i could adapt it without, distracted with the move, ive yet to tackle it. I am interested to know how you got around the wiring? What kind of axles do you have under the sammi now? Reduction in the tracker case, or is this just to a toy case? Thanks, im interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

no guts swapping, the bellhousing from the X-90 will bolt on to the volvo transmission then bolt right on to the 1.6. There is no computer, the only wire to hook up besides your basic reverse lights and nutral safety switch, is 12v for the overdrive. You can run the transmission as-is, there is a flange on the output and you can make up a drive shaft to go to the sami case. I made the toyota T-case adapter because I wanted something stronger and without the high range reduction. I am also running toyota axles and the centered output matched. The adapter I made bolts the toyota T-case directly to the transmission (no tracker T-case). Glenn did adapt the tracker T-case to a volvo trans and installed it in his X-90 and is happy with it.
http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content?act...ch=41607;image

Bacon is quite wonderful
Bacon is quite good
I would eat it every day
If I freakin could
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 09:33 AM
Stranger

Very nice set up! Randy has done alot of R&R on this set up.I think hes got the answer for the toyota truck guys also!They dont have a auto to put into there rigs like the tracker 3 speed auto. Its also the next up grade for zuks that want a stronger trany with toy tcases.With that you can swap out the zuk tcase that i dont think will hold up to 39s.

Last edited by wheelnrok; 01-01-2008 at 09:35 AM.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 09:56 AM
Apprentice

What exactly is the volvo trans out of?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Hi Bill. I wanted to throw it in my sami this winter but I never seem to have the time. One of these days it will get put in something, maybe a toyota...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotzook View Post
What exactly is the volvo trans out of?
pretty much any RWD volvo car from the '80s and '90s. Mine is from a '95(?) volvo 940. It has the 23 spline output that matches the toyota T-case and is supported by a beefy roller bearing instead of a bronze bushing. The one Wildweasel (Glenn) got was older and had fewer splines, not a big deal if you are going to use the flange with the sami case.

Bacon is quite wonderful
Bacon is quite good
I would eat it every day
If I freakin could
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 11:14 AM
Old Hand

Zooky,
Nice to see you back again. Thanks for the heads up with this mod. I will be going the auto route in my next build and this is exactly what I needed to read. If you have any more info please post. Pics are always good.

Now get wildweasel, CTBrent, and the rest of you yankees back over here.

Brad.

Hillbilly Homegrown 4x4s
Rock 4x Fabrications
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 02:35 PM

Thank you Randy. I will be on the lookout for a 95 volvo tranny, how did you get yours so cheap??? Dont tell me it was Harry's u pull it in PA. (Love that place like a second wife) So how long did it end up being compared to the tracker tranny with transfer on it?

In your opinion would a 16v mated to this (or 4spd x90 modified) to 5.29's assuming there is no reduction in the tcase. ( I will look into mating it to the divorced sammi tcase as well, but for now...) on those 33 MTR's will I have enough power to drive Heidi's on the freeway? Right now with her 16v manual tranny and stock sammi gearing and 4.16 tcase it cruises at 70 all day long, 80 on the downhill with a tailwind. Cant stand to go any slower on the freeway.

Love to see all the people again, hope everyone is having a great new year.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Hey Brad, good to see you around again too
Max, that place in PA was sweet. I got the transmission at a bone yard 40 minutes from the house. Thats the going rate if you pull it yourself. Glenn came up and got one for the same price. They seem to be easy to find. Hard to say power wise. The auto does suck up some HP but I think if you gear it up correctly it would be ok. I've driven my sami around with the 3-speed and 16v on HEAVY 35's w/bead locks and it went pretty good on the back roads. I didnt take it on the highway because I needed an overdrive. As far as length goes, the trans with the toyota T-case bolted on came to about 1" shorter then the stock sami and T-case combo. If you squeeze it in in front of the sami case, it will fit but the intermediate shaft will be shorter then stock.
http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content?act...ch=41607;image
http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content?act...ch=60432;image

Bacon is quite wonderful
Bacon is quite good
I would eat it every day
If I freakin could
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode