samuri carb swap - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

samuri carb swap

hi to all.....new to this board.....

need any suggestions for carb change possibilities on 89 suzuki sammy.

hi po stuff like webbers not needed..as it is just a driver and dont need to worry about smog laws....but must get rid of that stock carb nightmare.....

thanks in advance
chief rock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 05:27 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief rock View Post
hi to all.....new to this board.....

need any suggestions for carb change possibilities on 89 suzuki sammy.

hi po stuff like webbers not needed..as it is just a driver and dont need to worry about smog laws....but must get rid of that stock carb nightmare.....

thanks in advance
chief rock
There are several carburetors that you can swap onto your 1.3 carbureted intake manifold - Hyundai Pony, Toyota Corolla and the Weber.

For articles on each, do a search for carburetor at acks FAQ. The link is in my signature below.

Ack
Ack's FAQ
nearly 837 searchable links to Suzuki/Geo modding and maintenence info - including the Tracker FSM Project!
'88 "SJ-416 Samurai"
'11 Ford Transit Connect XLT
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

carb swap...

ok.....thanks a bunch....will check it out.

all info will be appreciated since iam new to the zook nation..
.i think evently i will swap engines ,,,,,looks like theres room for some otherbrand of small eng and auto....and the front drive shaft doesnt look like a problem.

chief rock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 05:45 AM

CV carb. No doubt that right now it is the best thing going for carb swaps on Samurais.

Go HERE and scroll down to the My-Side Sidedraft system.

I fabbed my own, but I have the mad-scientist-booty-fab-skills-o-death.
The price of the kit and a good used carb will be about the same , or maybe less than a Weber.
I replaced a Weber w/ a CV.

Matt aka Lizooki on the Zu
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 12:37 AM
zuk4climbn'

what about a carb spacer. anyone know about those and how it will help the stock carb fiasco?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuk4climbn' View Post
what about a carb spacer. anyone know about those and how it will help the stock carb fiasco?
Don't waste your time.

btw- If you have a good working stock carb...leave it alone! I you have the slight off idle stumble, get the venturi tube fix.

NOTHING works as well as the stock carb on a sami ( or stock EFI ).
But when it goes bad

Matt
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2007, 10:55 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by kf4zgz View Post
CV carb. No doubt that right now it is the best thing going for carb swaps on Samurais.

Go HERE and scroll down to the My-Side Sidedraft system.

I fabbed my own, but I have the mad-scientist-booty-fab-skills-o-death.
The price of the kit and a good used carb will be about the same , or maybe less than a Weber.
I replaced a Weber w/ a CV.

Matt aka Lizooki on the Zu
Matt has a good point here. If you are looking for something that is designed to WORK and you are not a "mad scientist", MySide from Zuks Offroad is a good choice!

Ack
Ack's FAQ
nearly 837 searchable links to Suzuki/Geo modding and maintenence info - including the Tracker FSM Project!
'88 "SJ-416 Samurai"
'11 Ford Transit Connect XLT
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2007, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

carb swap

i really appreciate all the info.......

i build 'stuff''.....and agree that in my case the stock carb running great is the best way to go. however in my sammy on the road it is the scaryist .....will not take more that 1/4 throttle on the front barrel....50 MPH....with 80 mph traffic breating down your neck....wow...

i have decided to0 install the toyota 1200 [74-75] carb......as published in acksfacts....bought it on ebay...will be delivered next week. searched local junk yards ...no luck.

reasoning..... fits manifold without a big problem....fits under hood, and can use stock air cleaner.... AND...it seems about as simple as they get......i will have to fab all the brackets etc.......but overall..pretty simple.

i feel this car is suffering from some sensors gone south.....iam from tx.....bought it in colorado 8 months ago to tow behind my RV. cherry, 52000 mi and absolutely no rust...$1400..... had looked SERIOUSLY for one for 12 months. had a ..check eng light on......drove it to 12000 ft and all over the rocky mountains....starts , idles and runs perfect....but will not rev.

i want the simplicist rig i can build for where i go in strange terrority. so iam willing to rewire the whole car if i have to to get rid of that computer.

after reading the acksfacs ariticle , i was convinced. but, how in the H**8 can i be so lucky to find that carb. junk yards are smashing everything past 1990....and the gov . wants every thing except new cars off the road. all the hot rod orgs. i belong too have been fighting this for 25 years.
somewhere down the road modified stuff like we all love will only be trailered to some kind of event.

THANKS ......open to you comments.

will let you know the results.

chief rock.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

carb swap

received toyota carb from online carb dealer in cal i bought on ebay.....
looks absolutely fabulous and new.
has two hard to get base gaskets and fuel inlet fitting.

my final analysis will be after installation and test driving.....a new 2'' exhaust, no cat and this carb should make this oversized sewing machine motor rev. to its potential.

chief rock
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2007, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

toyota carb progress

carb fit perfect....redid base spacer as per article, made my own gaskets. the air cleaner is a different story.....this a 74/75 toyota carb ...different than article. the underside took a lot of massaging to clear the linkages .... with hammer. plus , a new more flexable hose because the air cleaner bonnet is distorted from hammer blows....made new thicker gasket....to allow A/C to square itself and seal when bolted down. looks good.

carb throttle cable bracket..... this carb is NOT compatable to the samuri cable end. i removed the cable attachment bracket from the sammy carb , cut some off of it , drilled some holes in it and the 74 carb bracket and attached it . this is the sammy carb part that the cable winds 1/4 away around it. works good ....

throttle cable hold down bracket .. fabed from metal , and bolted to the two bolts on top of the thermostat housing, running to the rear parallel to the valvecover . a vertical piece welded to attached the throttle cable and man choke cable hold down bracket, which i removed from an old 3310 holley.

am going to strip the harness to pull out all the carb plugs and route them under the dash, where they will be unseen.

it looks like a nice setup.....however ,it must be very docile on off idle creeping as well as being able to rev on the hiway.

we will see....no going back now.

more info later..wish i could put up pics.

chief rock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode