help tires skid/skip in 4wd - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 02:56 PM
coffin

help tires skid/skip in 4wd

hi i've been piecing together my beater 94 tracker. I now have a problem when i put it in 4wd when i try to move my tires start to skid and skip. What would cause this and what do i need to do to fix this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 09:00 PM
supertuner

my 94 tracker did that when i bought it , someone put the wrong gears in the front diff. it was almost impossable to drive on dry pavement, but worked in the snow.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 11:03 PM
Keyboard Implanted

tires skid and skip...

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffin View Post
hi i've been piecing together my beater 94 tracker. I now have a problem when i put it in 4wd when i try to move my tires start to skid and skip. What would cause this and what do i need to do to fix this?
Does only one axle do this?

I bet that you have inadvertantly installed mismatched differentials or have different-sized tires from front to back. If the differential gear ratios are not identical or the tires are not all the same size from front to back, skidding slipping and popping will occur followed by damage to the differentials and/or the transfer case.

If all the tires are the same size and you have swapped in one or both axles with "new" differentials, double check the gear ratio on both to see if they match.

- Lift one wheel off the ground
- Put the transfer case in neutral
- mark the input flange and adjacent case on the differential with white-out.
- Do the same on the inside of the tire and on the brake dust cover.
- Turn the lifted wheel one turn while counting the number of rotations (fraction included!) on the differential.
- Write down the resulting number of turns
- Repeat the above process on the other axle

Both flange rotation numbers should match. If they don't, you need to swap out the "bad" differential with one that has the gear ratio that you want to keep.

Hope that this helps!

Ack
Ack's FAQ
nearly 837 searchable links to Suzuki/Geo modding and maintenence info - including the Tracker FSM Project!
'88 "SJ-416 Samurai"
'11 Ford Transit Connect XLT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 01:05 PM
coffin

i had actually bought this at the beginning of summer off of some guy. it needs some work. I remember when i bought it i popped it into 4wd and it did this. I thought the brakes needed to be done and it was just sticking. (sidenote i had to replace both calipers, rotors, pads and rear drums and shoes because the guy beat the crap out of it and never did the brakes.)

I checked the transmission fluid yesterday before i drove it anywhere and and there was barely any on the stick, not sure if this would contribute to the issue at all. I added fluid but haven't tried the 4wd again because i live in an apartment complex and don't want to off my neighbors with the skidding.

I does actually have 2 different sizes of tires on the front and on the back. However when i was at the guys house and had the problem it had 4 of the same size.

it real odd. It will go for a couple feet in either direction and then the thing locks up. it seems to be the front driver side. i was hoping it was the auto hubs on the front but my guess i'm not going to be that lucky.

I was really hoping to have the 4wd working for the winter here in buffalo but i'm getting more and more discouraged as the days go on. I'm sure these things are a B*tch to drive in snow without the 4wd

Last edited by coffin; 10-22-2007 at 01:07 PM.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 01:56 PM
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertuner View Post
my 94 tracker did that when i bought it , someone put the wrong gears in the front diff. it was almost impossable to drive on dry pavement, but worked in the snow.

You should never use 4wd on dry pavement. There is no centre diff on a Zuk and you will wind up the transmission.

2000 Vitara 1.6, 2" lift, 3" body lift, winch, snorkel, safari rack, 33" MTs, rear discs, steel front axle, 5:83s
SJ413K Pick Up, 1.6 conversion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode