Help with 1.3 tapping hard just after excelleration? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Help with 1.3 tapping hard just after excelleration?

Ok, I'm driving it daily, but there is a rap tap tap tap noise hammering between acceleration and idle. One person tells me it's a wrist pin, another says main bearings...heck I don't know what it is... I even went back to the engine rebuilder and let him listen to it, and he didn't know if it was in the head or bottom end. It does hammer louder than lifters noise, it's not detectable at start up or when driving slow and normal...but wind it out a bit and when I let off the gas just a little there it is. If I let off the gas all the way it goes away. sometimes I notice it more after it warms up, and between shifts. It's a 1.3 I got from "johns foreign engines" and the first time it did what I just described, it was winter (2 years ago) and -5 degrees out... I saved up my money for a long time and had the bottom end rebuilt by a local rebuilder in Brookville Ohio, I ran great till the last winter and I was pulling a t-bird out of the snow. It was alot of strain on the motor... It was also -5 degrees again, and it started doing it again? HELP! All the rebuilder did was put new bearings in the first time... Yes there was some gas in the oil but we put on a new fuel pump and new oil any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2007, 01:21 PM
Can't Get Enough

pull the valve cover and make sure all the screws that hold the cam in place are still there. sometimes they will vibrate out over time and then it will drop oil pressure in the head and can wipe out the cam

AOL IM: Freebird01JM ICQ#18103928
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2007, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird01 View Post
pull the valve cover and make sure all the screws that hold the cam in place are still there. sometimes they will vibrate out over time and then it will drop oil pressure in the head and can wipe out the cam
Thanks Freebird, that will be the first thing I check, along with valve lash...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 08:46 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocZook View Post
Thanks Freebird, that will be the first thing I check, along with valve lash...
You'd be surprised at how often that happens. I bet out of the 12 Samurais I've stripped, 10 had 1 or more cam screws MIA somewhere in the top end.

I heard I was getting a sweater for Christmas. Too bad, I was hoping for a moaner or a screamer.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 08:47 AM
Keyboard Implanted

The frequency and speed of the noise will tell you where the problem lies . If the noise seems to follow the rpm's closely it's more than likely a rod . Otherwise, if the noise has a speed higher than the engine rpm's that's usually an indicator of a bad wrist pin . You can use a long wooden stick or dowel rod to locate it better by holding one end of the rod against the bones just in front of your ear , just be very careful around any moving parts with the other end on the engine . Listen closely to the head at each cylinder and rev it up and down . You will hear some valve clatter , this is normal with solid direct rocker engines . Checking just below the top of the block will show up any wrist pins and along the pan rail will show any rod problems . Avoid the oil pan and valve cover, they only amplify sounds and make it impossible to pinpoint their origin .
Sarge

Midwest Performance Parts
Weber Modifications/Rebuilds & Parts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode