Clutch questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Clutch questions

My 87 Zuk clutch is slipping. Is there any adjustment for this, or is it time to replace. I tried adjusting the cable underneath, but it didn't seem to change much excep the pedal location. Secondly, what's a decent price? I was expecting maye $300, but I got one quote for $550 and one for $935. Yikes. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 08:16 PM
Keyboard Implanted

clutch adjusting..

Quote:
Originally Posted by randimal View Post
My 87 Zuk clutch is slipping. Is there any adjustment for this, or is it time to replace. I tried adjusting the cable underneath, but it didn't seem to change much excep the pedal location. Secondly, what's a decent price? I was expecting maye $300, but I got one quote for $550 and one for $935. Yikes. Thanks.
Check out the clutch adjustment tutorial at Ack's FAQ (see signature). Do a search for clutch.

Once you've followed the procedure there, you'll have a better idea of the condition of the clutch.

Which brings us to the second result of the above clutch search - an illustrated procedure for removing the transmission. You can also find a decent description for removing the transmission in the downloadable Factory Service Manual (FSM) at the FAQ. Your local public library should also have a copy of either the Haynes or Chilton repair manual for you to check out as a reference. They are not as good as the FSM but if you have a dial-up connection, they might be a bit more convenient.

Part of the requirements of owning a Samurai (there was a sealed envelope in the glovebox for you to open when you bought it, right?) is learning how to fix it yourself and save money!

The quotes that you received for replacing the clutch (plus the throwout and pilot bearings) are nothing more than customer convenience served with a large Bass-Boat payment - especially the $500 and $935 estimates.

A good auto parts store clutch with the pilot and throwout/release bearing - like the ones at O'Reilly Auto Parts - will run you about $150.

So, get together with some friends and throw a Clutch Replacement Party! Be sure to stock up on Refreshing Beverages and order up some delivery Pizza about half way through the job so it arrives when you are almost done.

Ack
Ack's FAQ
nearly 837 searchable links to Suzuki/Geo modding and maintenence info - including the Tracker FSM Project!
'88 "SJ-416 Samurai"
'11 Ford Transit Connect XLT

Last edited by ackerdackerly; 08-06-2007 at 08:18 PM. Reason: I cnat spel!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 11:20 PM

Cool Clutch replacement costs

I've had two clutches replaced on 1988 zuks. One I did myself. The assembly cost $165 and I spent several days crawling around under the vehicle but did manage it single-handedly with two scissors jacks and jack stands.

In 2005, I made several calls for price quotes on replacing the clutch in a 1988 (early) Samurai. Prices ranged from $350 to over $700. Yikes! Then I called a dealer (DeSimone Isuzu/Suzuki in Philadelphia, PA) for a price quote on a clutch replacement. They said around $400 for everything, not including tax. What I liked the most was when the service manager told me one of their mechanics did ALL of their Samurai work and really knew the little car inside and out!

They did it in one day and my bill was $428 ($400 plus $28 tax since Philly has a 7% tax rate!) and that clutch is still in use!

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode