1990 Geo Tracker - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 09:57 PM
Larry Hatcher

1990 Geo Tracker

Have a 90-Geo.......replaced motor, would start an run spraying starter fluid for a few seconds! Traced it to a bad fuel pump,replaced it with a new one, Now its not getting fire to plugs an fuel pump won't kick on! Is there a reset button on this model, that will kill fire to the ignition an pump for safety reasons? Thanks for any help!!

Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 08:09 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I think the engine has to register oil pressure before the fuel pump will kick on.
(not 100% on this but check to make sure the wire is connected to the oil sensor on the drivers side of the engine. ) worth a shot. otherwise check all your grounds.

QUOTE=Larry Hatcher;1508483]Have a 90-Geo.......replaced motor, would start an run spraying starter fluid for a few seconds! Traced it to a bad fuel pump,replaced it with a new one, Now its not getting fire to plugs an fuel pump won't kick on! Is there a reset button on this model, that will kill fire to the ignition an pump for safety reasons? Thanks for any help!!

Larry[/QUOTE]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 09:43 AM
Addict

The oil pressure isn't monitored by the ECU. The ECU is the common factor that controls the fuel pump and ignition. Have you checked the fuses?

2000 Vitara 1.6, 2" lift, 3" body lift, winch, snorkel, safari rack, 33" MTs, rear discs, steel front axle, 5:83s
SJ413K Pick Up, 1.6 conversion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 09:41 PM
Larry Hatcher

Thanks James for the info....where would I look for the ECU at?
Thanks Larry
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 09:52 PM
Larry Hatcher

No fire to Coil or fuel pump!

I have checked all the fuses that I can find, there are 3 big ones right in front of battery an of course the fuse block under the dash, are there any more that I may have missed? Thanks Larry
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 03:31 PM
Addict

The ECU is up under the dash. I believe its on the passenger side on LHD models. Have you got a Check engine Light warning? It might be worth disconnecting the fuel pump again in case there is a short in the wiring. It has been known for problems to develop with the connectors behind the rear light cluster, I can't remember which side it is though.

2000 Vitara 1.6, 2" lift, 3" body lift, winch, snorkel, safari rack, 33" MTs, rear discs, steel front axle, 5:83s
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 06:26 AM
Larry Hatcher

One prob. solved/another to go!

The no fire to coil an pump was finally found in a blown fuse! After tearing the dash apart an tracing the hot wire al the way back to the pump.....the new pump we recieved was wired backwards!!! Using the factory connecters, which snaped right together, it was sending the hot from the fuse block to the ground on the pump which of course -blown fuse!! Was a easy fix but hard find!!Thanks for all the help guys! This is a 90-Tracker, we put a 95 motor in it,we had to use the old dist., but trying to use new intake an carb. which had a few extra plug-ins which we don't have. It cranks an runs but is running way to rich, could the computer set up not be suititable with this intake an carb from the newer year? Should we change back to the original intake an carb. ? Thanks for any suggestions............Larry
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 11:27 AM
Addict

Hi Larry
You mean a 1990 throttle body, right?. Here in the UK we had carbs on our Zuks up to around 1994. From what I have read over the years 1990 was a changeover year for EFI on Track/Kicks. The 1989/90 models had a slightly different EFI set up with a different TPS and possibly a few other differences too. As I understand it the 89/90 ECU is not compatible with the later system. You will need to determine what setup you have, the 89 TPS is just a 2 switch set up for for idle and WOT, the later models have a variable resistor.
Cheers
James

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode