Samurai - Passenger Seat Move Back - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 05:31 PM
vegasmadmax

Samurai - Passenger Seat Move Back

Hi!
We have been gifted (free with only 86,000 miles) a 1986 Samurai. I am 6' 3" and wish to move the passenger seat back so that I can get my knees out of the glovebox.

The seats are still in great shape (recently re-upholstered) and I do not wish to replace them as of yet.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks on moving the passenger seat back without major customization, other than removing the seat and drilling new holes to move the seat back as much as can be alowed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 06:00 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Remounting seats...

Remounting seats so they slide farther back is a pretty simple task involving some sort of mounting bracket between the stock slide and the seat itself which could be as simple as drilling a piece of flat steel. The process will raise the seat slightly depending on the height of the adapter piece - something to consider since you are tall. I am 5'9" and have Tracker seats in my Samurai. It's kinda hard to sit at an intersection and see the overhead traffic signals...

Do a search for seat at Ack's FAQ (the link is in my signature, below) and you'll find several illustrated seat swap projects. Take a look at those articles to get ideas on how to build repositioning adapter plates.

Hope this helps!

Ack
Ack's FAQ
nearly 837 searchable links to Suzuki/Geo modding and maintenence info - including the Tracker FSM Project!
'88 "SJ-416 Samurai"
'11 Ford Transit Connect XLT
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 06:14 PM
vegasmadmax

Samurai - Passenger Seat Move Back

WOW!

Thanks for the super fast response!

I think it was a matter of minutes!

I figured it wasn't too involved (seeing as I'm accustomed to moving seats back in my various vehicles due to my height) and I just wish to make sure.

It sure is nice having this forum available to us Samurai fans.

Any thoughts on my other posts, i.e. door linkage retainers and mirrors?

Thanks again for your super service and for your time.

I do not take it for granted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 04:38 PM
Keyboard Implanted

door linkage stuff...

One way to find that kind of stuff is through a salvage vendor like Hawk's Strictly Suzuki at 888-SAMURAI.

Another method is to head for your local salvage yard (or even better a Pick'n'Pull-style salvage yard) and harvest parts off a Samurai there. US Samurais were, for the most part, nearly identical from '86 to '95.

I broke the inside door release lever on my '93 Sidekick and was able to get a replacement off a tracker in the local Pick-N-Pull for the price of admission ($2.00). I also snagged onto two spare temp gage senders and a dash dimmer unit for that same two bucks!

Hope this helps!

Be sure to visit my website, Ack's FAQ for more useful stuff! The link is in my Signature, below.

Ack
Ack's FAQ
nearly 837 searchable links to Suzuki/Geo modding and maintenence info - including the Tracker FSM Project!
'88 "SJ-416 Samurai"
'11 Ford Transit Connect XLT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode