electric fan thermostats - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

electric fan thermostats

I have been thinking of going to an electric fan.

My question is the controlers.

I had one that had a probe that went into the radiator fins to controle the fan. I have also seen the ones that thread into the manifold. Is one better than the other. It would seem since factory fans are controled be the manifold switches that they would be more reliable and more water proof. They also seem like they would be meashuring the engine temp to turn on and off the fan. To me that seems wrong the engine temp could be 200 and the radiator temp could be 170. If the sensor turns on the fan at 180 it would be running even though it wasnt needed. Most of the manifold ones are the same on temp as my water thermostat or my continous engine temp wich (to me ) seems like as soon as my rig got to opperating temp the fan would run continous.

Normally I wouldnt care but lately I have been daily driving the rig as a comuter and am tring to get better gas milage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 12:36 PM

Your fan shouldn't be running at highway speeds. The best controller I have seen are from these guys. It will not turn the fan on untill required and will also ramp it up and down as required.

Delta Current Control
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 07:26 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I have the Flexalite and depending on the outside temp the fan does or doesn't go on. That may sound stupid but on colder days I will drive my 3 miles to work and the fan will not go on. But in the height of the summer heat it does. As for the highway if you are just cruising along on a nice level road 55-60 mph the fan usually stays off. But on hilly stretches and putting your foot to the board to make the hills it does go on. I have a light on the dash for the fan so know when it is on. Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 01:03 PM
Addict

The switches that mount on the manifold usually go through into the coolant galley. Therefore they are monitoring the temperature of the coolant around the engine and hence engine temperature. Since it is the engine temperature that needs to be regulated they make sense. They are usually a thermostatic switch and aren't the same as a conventional coolant sensor.

2000 Vitara 1.6, 2" lift, 3" body lift, winch, snorkel, safari rack, 33" MTs, rear discs, steel front axle, 5:83s
SJ413K Pick Up, 1.6 conversion.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 08:38 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87zuke View Post
I have the Flexalite and depending on the outside temp the fan does or doesn't go on. That may sound stupid but on colder days I will drive my 3 miles to work and the fan will not go on. But in the height of the summer heat it does. As for the highway if you are just cruising along on a nice level road 55-60 mph the fan usually stays off. But on hilly stretches and putting your foot to the board to make the hills it does go on. I have a light on the dash for the fan so know when it is on. Jim
X2.........

All Good Medicine,
Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode