Whats the best year of sidekick,tracker to look for? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

Whats the best year of sidekick,tracker to look for?

looking at buying one for the wife, she wants an auto due to left ankle issues. That said whats the better years to look at? No rock crawling, just beach cruising, plus grocery getter. The 2 door soft top is a must.
BTW I have a crewcab 89 f350 SRW, 7.3, 2wd,5spd I might trade for one. It needs paint, as the crappy generic paint job the P/O put is peeling( the factory paint is shiny under the cheapo paint) Shows 82 k on speedo, from inspection sticker it was driven 4k last yr. Just put a heavy duty clutch, rebuilt radiator and t-stat in. Tires are 50-60 %, no gooseneck or 5th wheel hitches. Only rust is on the drip rail on drivers side and very little at that. Straight body, runs top notch. I drive it daily 40 miles round trip. Fuel guages or off. A/C dont work. Its the basic model so no cruise/pw/pl or any other fancy stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 06:59 PM

I'm assuming you meant 1989-1998 models becuase you said Sidekick/Tracker and did not include Vitaras.

The newer ones have a 16-Valve engine and are more likely to be in better shape becuase they had less time to rust or be beaten. Other than that they are all pretty much the same truck.

Don't forget, the Geo brand dissappeared in 96-97 so look under Chevy Tracker to find 1998 models.

I just found one up here in the great white north that is in really good shape. It took a month to find though.

Oz
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 10:02 PM
Apprentice

Bought my wife a 95 Sidekick JXL as I wanted one with power windows and I wanted the OBD I emissions. I found after 3 months that all the ones I looked at the ones with power windows were in the best condition, maybe because of the P/O's were easier on the vehicles? The other thing I noticed was all the ones I looked at that had over 200k miles with no rebuilds had their cooling systems serviced reguarly and the ones that were o'hauled had cooling problems. I can only say that the 16v motor is extremely tough if serviced reguarly. My wife drives the Sidekick so much I have to go out and start her Sebring convertable every month to keep the battery up. She loves her Sidekick! I used to live in Texas so you should be able to find a good rust-free one. Just be patient and you will find one. I found mine on Craig's list.Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Weren't the 16 vlave motors interference motors, meaning if the timing belt breaks the pistons slaps the valves a trashes it ? Ithought thats what i read one time. How do auto trannys hold up on the zuks? I have always had Sammy's
thx
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
Weren't the 16 vlave motors interference motors, meaning if the timing belt breaks the pistons slaps the valves a trashes it ? Ithought thats what i read one time. How do auto trannys hold up on the zuks? I have always had Sammy's
thx
Funny you ask that question. I was wondering the same thing. As I siad I just bought one. The lady who had it before me changed the T-belt 6000 kms (4000 miles) ago at 100 000kms (60 000 miles). Is that normal?

Oz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode