Throttle Body to Carb Conversion - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 11:26 PM
Tome

Throttle Body to Carb Conversion

Okay. I'm at my wit's end with this stupid car. If this has been discussed previously, please post a link to that discussion. I'd be much obliged.

I have a 1991 Samurai, the one with the silly throttle-body intake. The computer is fried. I've had an associate who runs a slot-machine repair shop check the computer, he's said that one of the intergrated circuits is defective. So, the ECM is completely fried. Wonderful.

So. What steps do I need to follow in order to completely ignore the electronics system and go with a carbeurator?

Inspection and testing has shown that all ECM-driven systems can be ignored, bypassed or replaced-by aftermarket parts. I can replace the stock ignition control module with an MSD 6A. I can replace the entire throttle body with either a Daihatsu Pony carb or a Kelli carb (Izook.com has information on how to do this). I was thinking that I should buy a one-barrel Holley and have a machinist fabricate me an adapter plate. But whatever.

Now, here's the real trouble I'm running into. The distributer advance is controlled by the computer. Isn't that great?

Now, the real meat of my question:

1. Is my method for ignoring the ECM sound? If not, kindly suggest an alternate, proven method, preferably with a link to a step-by-step HTML document.

2. How do I fix this problem I'll have with the advance?
2A. Is there a device out there that can translate vacuum energy into an electronic signal?
2B. Did the older (pre-89?) Samurais have vacuum advances on their distributers? If so, are those distributers compatible with the 1991 model year?

Any help whatsoever would be awesome.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 01:02 PM
Addict

No reason why you can't use a carb instead. You can replace the distributor with an earlier one, you'll just need to connect the vacuum advance up.

2000 Vitara 1.6, 2" lift, 3" body lift, winch, snorkel, safari rack, 33" MTs, rear discs, steel front axle, 5:83s
SJ413K Pick Up, 1.6 conversion.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 11:18 PM

Mechanical Fuel Injection

Have you looked at the kit offered by Zuksoffroad.com ?
He's offering a constant fuel injection system that utilizes
a VW/Audi system, entirely mechanical, no computer needed.
I'm going this route with a 1600 8v, just to stay away from the
electrical hassles with the 1600 EFI. I have a carbed '88.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 06:28 PM
Can't Get Enough

I have a one barrell Rochester that the previous owner had installed on my 1991 Samurai when I first bought it. It has an adapter plate that fits the EFI manifold as you mentioned. It would run over 85 mph with that carb and stock tires when I got it. I also have a pre-EFI wiring harness and distributor that if used along with the carb would end your electrical problems. (You'd also need a fuel pressure regulator to reduce your EFI fuel pump pressure)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2007, 11:00 AM
Way Outta Control

Isn't it interesting how owners of other 4x4's are always looking for easy ways to convert to FI from troublesome carburetors, but Zukers go backwards in time.

Where do you get your wooden spoked wagon wheels?

When an FI system doesn't work right, doesn't it make sense to learn how the system works and fix the actual problem?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2007, 08:25 PM
Keyboard Implanted

If you hop over to the Zuhwarrie.com bbs board there is a guy there that will repair that ecm for a modest fee . Look up the username Surly , he's on there nearly every day . I agree, the efi system on that engine is pretty simple, fixing it can't be that hard with a book and voltmeter . I'm no fan myself , but if you already have it why not fix it ?
Sarge

Midwest Performance Parts
Weber Modifications/Rebuilds & Parts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode