Please help me choose my drivetrain. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Please help me choose my drivetrain.

Yes, I'm a cross posting fool... The more the merrier, right?

Anyway, some of you know about me and my sj410k. It's been tucked away in a storage container since I've been on my own Suzuki/wheeling hiatus. I'm ready to pull out the wrenches but I am not sure what to wrench on and keep for the project and what to sell off. Before I list off all the potential parts I'd like you to keep in mind a few things I've been weighing in my head to help base my decision on...

The first is longevity of the drivetrain, I want to build it and maintain it not build it and in three years rebuild/replace it.

Next focus is workability, I really want something that functions well and allows me to drive on the street. If I can't drive it on the street I'm going to end up bored. Having a multi purpose vehicle is ALWAYS important to me.

Finally, cost right now is not as big as cost down the road. Although I want reliability I'm thinking about future costs (fuel costs are a concern).

So, now having that basis to start a conversation from, here is my pile-o-drivetrain parts I'd like help configuring. Just so you know I have all these parts in my possession. I wont be needing to buy much. Im guessing to complete the drivetrain at most Ill have to spend a grand (not considering any rebuilding).

Engines:
-Low mileage 1.6 8v (I have 2 and as well as a complete set-up for EFI) I have most of the swap parts to drop this into my rig. I need basically nothing here.

- 1.6 VW TD (It has sat in storage a while so before I started it I'd most likely go through it and freshen it up.)

Transmissions:
-3spd Kick Auto with kicker 3 and dual yota cases (one case being a 4.0 reduction).

-W56 with dual cases (the rear being reduced).

Here's the final piece of the package which makes things interesting... I have built Yota axles with 5.29's and 39.5 Iroks. I'd entertain other ratio ideas but I'm keeping my Iroks. While I don't have a kit for the TD, if I do go with it I'd go with ACME. I just need to hear what others think about this.

I appreciate your time and consideration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 06:58 AM

Re: Please help me choose my drivetrain.

If I remember correctly diesel usually tends to cost less than unleaded. The exception being now. I would go with the td with the idea deisel will return to it's less than gas status. I am not sure which tranny I would go with being I have not used either.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 02:43 PM
Old Hand

Brently, good to see you finally getting the bug to tear into the truck. Been waiting for a build-up thread.

Drivetrain needs to be tough and reliable so I'd go with the VW 1.6L mated to the W56. If cost were a long term concern then you could always go in with someone to get the kit to make your own fuel. I know of a few that are doing it now and while the start-up cost is high, the long term numbers will far outweigh the initial cost. Same with the transmission, Manuals will always get my pick because I've just never had great luck with an auto and that W56 is a great trans.

As far as the axles, I'd sell the Yotas and shop around for some d60s. Again, talking about long term. The Yotas may handle the 39.5s for a while but your gonna have to keep putting money into them. The 60s will hold up way better with those tires.

Anyways these are my thoughts, give me a yell sometime and we can talk more about it. I'm still hunting around for another samurai myself cuz I'll probably never find all of mine. I've got lots of parts but nothing to put them in.

Brad.
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 06:44 AM
Veteran

Brent and Brad! How nice to see your lovely faces again!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Brent, I'm with Brad, D60's and the oilburner to the W56. You will need that torque with those tires. But narrowing the 60's will be $$ but eventually will end up staying together. GET ER DONE, got a LOT of new places to take you. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/neener.gif[/img] peace out....
P.S.- just re-read your post, if streetability is a major factor here, why not just sell the Irok's and run some 37's on th e yota axles? You have the stuff for the yota's, those dana's are gonna need a lot of time and $ to be ready. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img] or no......?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 07:56 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[ QUOTE ]
why not just sell the Irok's and run some 37's on the yota axles

[/ QUOTE ]
T H A N K Y O U

build it for the street with 'off-roadiness' in mind, not the other way around. Overbuild it and you will be regretting it the 85% that it is on the street
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/violin.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I hate you both! Anyone want to swap my prized 39.5's for 37's? I want a rig on the road...

And fellas, can we meet up soon?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 08:44 AM
Veteran

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img] Yeah, it's been a while. Any time is good with me.
Swap the Iroks for a set of crawlers or MTR's. Radials will be SOOOO much better on the street. I'll never run bias' on a DD'er again.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 01:51 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Time/place. Jim
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 09:34 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Lets see, i love diesels but my zuk has 160,000 on it. 20k of it turnin 35s on the interstate at 75mph. And a full 60k of me raising immortal hell and turning stupid rpms. Maybe ive been lucky but that motor has turned out great.

That being said i would personally prolly go with the 1.6 but since you have a TD laying around id go with it.

For axles, 2 very hard years on my axles with 35s, ive only broken one stock birf and that was my own fault, not the zuks. True, 60s are stout, but are heavy (which will wear out other parts in the long run) and hang low (which sucks for wheeling) spend 640 bucks for profields and youre set. I personally know of guys that have run 42" iroks for well over a 1.5 years and have never broken a rear yota shaft under a yota truck. And those guys make me look like a pussy when it comes to wheelin.

Autos are super nice on the trails, but i think a manual is a longer lasting deal. Autos dont like to sit around and i believe you said yours had. And like brad said, that w56 is one bad mofo.

So with all my usual long windedness out of the way i think youre best bet is

The TD
the w56
yota axles--when the factory birfs give way, get profields and call it done
I personally love my bias tires on and off road. Never been balanced and she rides smooth as butter at 75 and they are way more durable off-road. I think iroks will wear fast on the road tho.

Keep us informed, glad to see youve started on it.

Will
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 11:24 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[ QUOTE ]
I hate you both! Anyone want to swap my prized 39.5's for 37's? I want a rig on the road...

[/ QUOTE ]

SURE....I've got a set of Swamprs...lol

If it were me, I'd like to keep it as much Suzuki as possible, so I'd go with the 1.6 stuff. The Kicker 3 set up would be pimp, and give you PLENTY of gearing for off road.

But man, a T.D. would be pretty sweet as well! Plus you could probably get better fuel mileage.

I guess I'd go with what would be the easiest to swap in. I'm just lazy like that...lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode