Hydro Assist - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 04:43 AM Thread Starter

Hydro Assist

G'day all, I am just after some info if anyone has any on using a hydro assist setup on a Zook. What I currently have is a power steer setup from a Vitara (sidekick,tracker) on my current driver but even with stock axles and not overly large tyres it really isnt anything to write home about.
My next Zook, although still in the early stages will be getting toyota axles and 35x14.5" tyres. I do have another Vitara power steer setup for this Zook but am worried that it really wont be much good in this state. I am now thinking of adding a hydraylic ram for assistance but dont know much about this setup. Will it be beneficial or should I be better off looking for another power steer system all together? I was planning on using a hydraylic ram from an early Ford Falcon which i believe is basically the same setup you have on your early Mustangs.
Not sure how this would all work though. Any input or criticism welcomed.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 09:04 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Hydro Assist

Most folks running the Toyota axles are using the IFS (independent front axle)type steering box with a billet pitman arm , and a high steer setup . Otherwise, you could use the Toyota FJ80 steering box , pitman arm and may be able to swap in the steering arm parts as well to your axles. This box , unlike the ifs box puts the pitman arm forward so you don't have to run the box at the very end of the frame. Do a bit of searching on the forums and some of the Toyota vendors for some ideas. Just depends on what you have available over there in Aussie land. BTW, the Ford parts you are considering are pretty stout too.

Any chance you'd know of any 200 (3.3L) straight six crossflow heads? I'd like to find a couple for some friends here for some show cars....
Sarge
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2007, 03:07 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Sarge, appreciate the info.
I have been looking at the Toyota power steering but seeing that I already had the Vitara system (rare and expensive over here) i was hoping to utilise it. I did come across this too... http://xfaktor.net:8082/Projects/Suz...droAssist.html
Basically exactly what i was thinking of doing, just mirror reversed [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
No matter though, I will work it out. Might still go the Toyota route with the Ford ram anyway [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
As for these heads do they have to be the 3.3L specific? As I am actually in the Japanese game Ford is a bit unknown to me. Even though I will see what I can come up with and let you know.

Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2007, 08:00 AM
Stranger

Im running a tracker box with the psc ram assist,pump(kit). Also running toy axles and 37 inch tires.One of the best mods Ive done!I can turn the steering wheel with one finger!The tracker box is easy to port just go to psc web site to see where to port it(look a pics of steering box).If you dont want to buy the pump you can go to west texas offroads site to see how do the pump mods to run with a ram.All I can say is add a cooler, very important steering gets very hot when you add a ram.Also do a search on POR you will find alot of info there. good luck [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 02:55 AM Thread Starter

[ QUOTE ]
Im running a tracker box with the psc ram assist,pump(kit). Also running toy axles and 37 inch tires.One of the best mods Ive done!I can turn the steering wheel with one finger!The tracker box is easy to port just go to psc web site to see where to port it(look a pics of steering box).If you dont want to buy the pump you can go to west texas offroads site to see how do the pump mods to run with a ram.All I can say is add a cooler, very important steering gets very hot when you add a ram.Also do a search on POR you will find alot of info there. good luck [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mate, your a bloody champion. Just the sort of info i need. One question though, how did you go having the pitman arm facing backwards running the toyota diffs? I have been looking at this and if i want to move the diff forward much at all a forward facing arm would most likely be preferable. Have you moved the front axle forward, and by how much?

Thanks again
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 05:12 PM

the cooler is very important, I would almost consider buying a tranny cooler with the fan built in. the heat is intense and will cause even high grade tractor hydraulic to over flow, you also need to make sure you have enough volume in you system to hold all the fluid forced out when turned full clock either way. I have faught a system for years and flirted with fires many times from fluid hitting the manifolds, not good.
good luck, also keep in mind some of the hanldling diferences on the road.
andy
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 06:50 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Those heads are only found on the Australian version of the Ford 200cu/in 3.3L straight six. A real easy way to identify one is just open the hood, the carb sits opposite of the exhaust manifold . Those engines here had an intake runner cast into the iron head and didn't flow all that well. The Aussie version was a nice crossflow and would produce some pretty good power for a small straight six . There have only been a handful brought over here by collectors and they seem to think they are gold. I can try to get specific years/models if needed.

I opted for the Cruiser steering box from a US model '98 fullsize since I didn't want to extend the frame since my axle sits quite far forward. With the PSC pump it should work fine since I don't get into the rocks all that much. There are a few others here in the States using the FJ80 box , works well .
Sarge
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Red, i have a nice big cooler that i can use in the system, no problems there. Will see what happens i suppose.

Sarge, I did a bit of a dig and found what years/models these heads are off. Not sure why exactly these heads are the ones to go for as i believe now there are also crossflow heads on 221 and 250cu enignes that may or not also be what your guys are chasing. If you can confirm this i will see what other heads i can find.

The 60 series power steer boxes seem to be a popular choice over here so i will look into that too. All depends on what happens when i get the axles positioned where i want them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode