Why do rear window zippers rip out? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Why do rear window zippers rip out?

On a soft top, why do rear window zippers tend to rip out eventually (in my experience)? Is it because the thread dry rotted from UV exposure, or is it because the top shrunk and put a lot of stress on the zipper? Initially I thought it might be caused by sun exposure, but now I am not so sure.

By the way, if it's caused by the top shrinking then sewing the zipper back where it was may not be such a good idea. It seems to me that a better idea would be to sew the zipper onto a canvas strip, maybe 1.5 to 2 inches (4 to 5 cm) wide and then sew the canvas strip onto the top. That way, there will be a bit less tension on the zipper when the window is zipped closed.

Phil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 07:02 PM

Re: Why do rear window zippers rip out?

You have the answer right on both accounts. The top shrinks and the thread rots. The canvas idea is good, but I wold use seatbelt webbing. It sews great and will last a hundred times longer than canvas. Bear in mind, the cold has a lot to do with the whole problem. Also, vinyl protectant will help some.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 07:03 PM

Also, when you sew it, use good uhpolstery thread. Another option is to go to a boat cover shop and see if they have any Kevlar thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2006, 02:01 PM
Way Outta Control

He He - you mean like Armorall?

Did you know a few years ago the Vice President of the company was fired because he told the truth? He mentioned at a press conference that the stuff actually removes the natural oils in vinyl and rubber and replaces it with theirs? He said once you start using it, you have to continue using it forever, as the new replacement oils evaporate. Stop using it, cracks and splits develop.
He wasn't intending to criticize his company, he was trying to explain how users get "hooked" on it and have to keep buying it - a plus for sales. Obviously he told too much!

I'll never use it.

Look at all the vinyl tops that had it put on - instant death!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 05:30 PM
Bill 1492

So do you use something other than Armorall, or nothing at all?

Bill
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2007, 05:48 PM

The Best vinyl protectant to use is Maguiaer's gold class Vinyl Protectant. The gold class doesn't use isopropyl alcohol as a drying agent like Armour-all does. This opinion has been reaffirmed by a gentleman that makes and fixes marine and auto vinyl and canvas tops.

<font color="orange">Tom
Lilsammy4x4 </font>
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode