Spool question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Spool question

Ok for those of you running spools , I would like to know if you have found any more stress on parts ? and or do you feel it is making things break easier ? All pros and cons needed ... Thankyou [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 09:26 AM

Re: Spool question

Iv been running a spool in the rear for a few months and love it. Obviously It puts more stress on the axles, but I haven't broken anything yet. If one tire lifts off the ground ALL the stress go's to the one on the ground and It wont let the outer tire spin faster during turns, so put 1 and 2 together. Steering becomes a bit more difficult due to that also.

I hardly notice it unless Im making a sharp turn. You have to be more carefull in the snow and rain, b/c the a$$ end will swing out on ya. (I dig that though,,,, its more fun!!!!) And if your SOA youll find with the added traction youll need a trak bar. Off road traction is no comp. You'll be able to go through stuff in two wheel that gave you a problem in 4X4. [img]images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 03:44 PM

cant go wrong with spool in the rear!! Up front is a little different because when your turning there is a lot of pressure on the inside wheel/axle/birfield, and I have a problem with plowing, since the tires are turning at the same rpm it doesnt want to turn as well. I am welded front and rear and wouldnt have it any other way though. as long as you remember not to come down on a fast spinning tire youll be ok, the only time I break anything is when one tire comes off the ground and then slamms back down while there is tourqe on it. and then its still only every now and then such as when turning in a climb or reverse while turning uphill, those birf's arent made to take that kind of abuse. but I would definatly spool the rear!!! and maybe lock the front, air locker or cable lock would be ideal because you could do all your turning and then only lock it when you need it. If I had money thats what I would do.

Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 10:36 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Had a spool in the back of the black zuk with the stock axles. Im ordering a spool for the yota rear tommorow. I love it.

Parking lots suck but other than that theres no problem.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 12:55 AM

I haven't noticed any additional wear to the axle splines at all. The only real drawback that I have notices is in the slick stuff. When you want to turn, the spool tends to drive you straight, instead of turning, so slow is the word.

Keep a good eye on your tire pressure also. I had a rock in the bead leak that I didn't notice and went up the highway
and cracked the edge of the spline carrier. One side was 32 lbs and the other was 20 lbs.

All in all, I wouldn't go back to Lockrites. An ARB is the only thing I would consider.
:All Good:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode