One more yj question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

One more yj question

The rear is done. Well almost done. Now as we are starting to think more about the front ive got a big question.

Ive read that some use a cj shackle eye and make there own shackles for the rear of the front spring. To help with the caster when swapping in yotas as i am. We see that doing that would save roughly 3-4 maybe 5 inches of "perch/shackle length". But were not sure if thats the best way to go. If i use the shackle supplied in the aapa yj kit its gonna force the rear of the front spring down quite a bit.

Does anybody have any pros or cons on which way to do this.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 08:53 AM
Veteran

Re: One more yj question

Will, I'll try to get ya a pic when I get home, I'm at work now.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 10:29 AM

I use the CJ hanger and 4.5" shackles, and still need to shim the castor another six degrees (I wish I could go 8 degrees). If you use anything that puts the rear of the front spring down anymore (like the aapa kit you describe or doing your frame extension level instead of following the angle of the stock frame), you will make it worse yet. Here is a shot of my rear (soory for all the grease and dirt, but it gets used a little [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] ).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1385249-FrontCJHangerSideView.jpg (89.4 KB, 43 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 12:19 PM
Denny

I have a 98 4 door sidekick auto, wondering what the little power switch on the console does? anybody know.
Denny
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 12:26 PM

Will,

You really do not want to go with the AAPA shackle with the stock hanger. See the pix. Your caster will be so far off the steering is hosed. Also, the spring hangs so low it will catch on rocks.

I really don't know why AAPA is still doing this with their kit - its just crazy.

Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1385268-frontshackle.jpg (68.6 KB, 29 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 12:36 PM
Veteran

Well, Tusker beat me to it [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img], Go with his setup, I'm copying it exactly for my rig. Big plus is now I'll have a winch mount, too [img]images/graemlins/deal.gif[/img] Here's a few pics...

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 01:22 PM

Will,

This is what it looks like after you cut off the existing stock hanger, and replace it with a CJ eye style hanger. The shackle itself is 4.5" hole to hole. I later made another that was 5.5" hole to hole so that it was not folded back so far.

Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1385286-smaller2004_0129_121020AA.JPG (71.1 KB, 36 views)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 06:22 PM

Hey Tomkat. Thanks for posting those. I am a little technoillogically challenged [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

One thing to note though on my setup. On my frame extension, I first started doing them at 6 inches total. I found that, to fit 35's at the firewall, I hade to push the front axle forard 2-inches on the perches. Lately I have used a total extension length of 8-inches (6 inches of 2x4 with a 2x4 cap piece). When you do that, you need to flip the CJ hanger the opposite way of what is shown in the picture to get the shackle angle shown. Puting the CJ hanger eye 42.5 inches behind the main-eye mounting point gives you the angle shown in Tomkats pics.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Tusker and Tomkat, wish i woulda seen that before i bought my kit. Oh well live and learn.

Im gonna try to run the aapa kit for now. I want to run a 35.5" swamper but dont think ill be able to. So maybe ill hold off on the whole damn setup and not make the march run.

I ordered my cj eyes today.

Does that setup hurt approach angle. Could you send some specifics for what you used, i have a buddy who is a welder who could make that up for me. Hell hes doin all my welding anyways.

What did you have to do to make the yota axles fit. Im gonna post some pics to show you what the aapa kit looks like. Do you think i could extend this and make it work. Im thinking if i extend it i can use what i have to help save money and be able to keep the yj hanger piece.

On the pics im posting the extension is 4 inches long.

Also what does it take to make 35's clear on the back. Not to change the subject tho.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Pic 1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1385373-ext1.jpg (115.6 KB, 33 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode