what makes it cough - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

what makes it cough

when running at a steady speed it will just all of the sudden cough, kiss its a$$ and then pick back up like nothin ever happend! it is become more of a regular habbit! its been doing it for awhile, oh BTW stock 1.3 with a header and webber carb! this is my daily driver so I can't afford any down time [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] !!! oh and this morning while trying to start the FROZEN beast i had to break out the starting fluid to get it running, it backfired through the carb and caught of fire, the clicky start about kicked my butt [img]images/graemlins/owned1.gif[/img] ! but then it hit and it sucked the flames right in! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] thanks for any info in advance!!!! [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 11:08 PM

Re: what makes it cough

Only sounds partially like the classic symptoms....but can't hurt to ask and start with the easy stuff....have you changed your fuel filter lately?

Cosmo
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 06:09 AM Thread Starter

nope no filter changes as of yet thats coming this weekend! it just has me confussed cause its so irregular that you never know when its gonna do it! of course I'm not carb smart anyhow so there is part of my problem [img]images/graemlins/wall.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 06:50 AM
tZUKnami

Remove the float bowl cover on you Weber and look in the bottom of the bowl to see if you have some water in there. Carb smart or not it's easy and should take about 10 min start to finish. 6 screws (I think) and the clip for the linkage and it'll come right off.
Or if you are still not convinced put some water remover in your tank. If the problem goes away, you know what it was. If not, you are no worse off.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 10:54 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Check the filter screen at the inlet of the carb first . Then, check the timing as it sounds like it may be off . Also, are you running a pressure regulator on the fuel system ? How do the plugs look , and what type of plugs are you running?
Sarge
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 03:39 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Yet another idea... Check the ground wire on the distributor to make sure it's nice and tightly attached to the chassis.

It's probably what the guys have already posted, but it don't hurt to check the ground...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

[ QUOTE ]
are you running a pressure regulator on the fuel system ?

[/ QUOTE ]
no regulator or anything on it! it stumbles mainly when I'm on the highway about 75 or 80 but it will do it occasionally at lower speeds! but first of all i'll check what you guys have already posted, thanks guys! [img]images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 09:35 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Almost sounds like some floating dirt in the bowl plugging up the main jets or icing in the carb's throat . Need some better info, such as when the problem shows up, engine temp, fuel pressure, condition of the ignition, ect. BTW, not to be a S M but did you check the ground wire on the disty?
Sarge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode