PROTESTING THE HIGH EBAY FEES!!! Read this! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

PROTESTING THE HIGH EBAY FEES!!! Read this!

PROTEST THE HIGH EBAY FEES:

http://www.petitiononline.com/ebayfee/petition.html

To: ebay
Ebay sellers are very concerned about the recent fee increase. Of course as ebay grows, it is understandable that the fee structure will increase. But sellers are questioning the amount of increase, mainly the gallery fee (from 0.25 to 0.35) and the final value fee (from 5.25% to 8%).

Many sellers are making little profit as is. Ebay is clearly discouraging the smaller sellers, however don't all sellers have to start out somehow? Sellers are saying that they will have to close their ebay store due to the subscription increase, or increase their prices to offset the fees. Many people want to leave ebay entirely.

The long term of the increase of the fee structure are:
a) Smaller sellers will stop selling on ebay and try to sell somewhere else online. They will never have the chance to expand themselves on ebay.

b) Larger sellers may consider starting their own online store or sell elsewhere

c) Prices of auctions will increase. Buyers will turn back to retail stores. The idea of ebay is that you can find things cheaper there, even when adding shipping and handling together.

d) Discourage new sellers, decreasing competition (which is what the ebay market thrives on for pricing).

Several ebayers have stated that they want to boycott. However I have started this petition to show ebay the concern we have for the new increase in the fee structure.

We protest that ebay should reconsider the fee increase entirely, but if not possible, please do think about not increasing the fees as much (some fees have double...or even tripled!).

I understand that even an increase in listing fees is understandable, but the substantial increase at the same time in the final value is absolutely absurd. Please listen to the ebay sellers, we are the backbone of ebay.

Sincerely,

The Undersigned

Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 09:43 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: PROTESTING THE HIGH EBAY FEES!!! Read this!

This is no surprise to me... I stopped using ebay a couple years ago. To me Ebay is just a place for compulsive buyers and rip off artists by the time I decided to stop using it... both buyers and sellers. It's too bad, I had made decent play money selling stuff.

I thought some sort of competetor would have been created by now but no one has stepped up.

Does anyone remember when ebay was cool?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 09:58 AM
Keyboard Implanted

It's bad enough that a lot of sellers have inflated shipping costs to beat cheap auction prices on their goods. With the added increase in fees, this problem will only grow . Not to mention the added fees charged by Pay Pal, Ebay has moved from it's origin of a great place to get a deal to a great place to get screwed...
Sarge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 02:17 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I was thinking about this a little more while I was away and Sarge you hit it right on the head. Even swap meets and junk shops are hard places to get deals because of Ebay. Maybe, eventually, things will swing back toward the way they were. I liked searching for "deals."
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 04:27 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[ QUOTE ]
I liked searching for "deals."

[/ QUOTE ]

165 dollar light guards? [img]images/graemlins/neener.gif[/img] Jim
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 08:08 PM
Veteran

[ QUOTE ]
PROTEST THE HIGH EBAY FEES:

http://www.petitiononline.com/ebayfee/petition.html

Of course as ebay grows, it is understandable that the fee structure will increase.

Sean

[/ QUOTE ]

The fees should not increase. As eBay grows their customer base grows and therefore their profits increase.
With the increase in fees, I predict that many people will cease to sell and others will cease to buy. I think that their profit margines will pretty much remain the same because of this.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 08:37 PM

I think EBay will eventually crash and burn. Aside from the fee hike most of the stuff is junk, a rip off or people trying to get fat on just one sale. Take the Zuke section for example. I have seen "87 Sammies that are supposed to be "rust free with only 60,000 miles" with a but it now price of $5,500. That's about what I paid for mine new. Another thing is the seller and the vechile are in N. Dakota. "RUST FREE", ya sure. If the guy can lie that much he also swear the odometer hasn't turned over.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 09:01 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[ QUOTE ]

165 dollar light guards? [img]images/graemlins/neener.gif[/img] Jim

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh I don't deny I loved crazed bidders (and it was $167.50 [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]) but after a while it was costing too much to even sell there. It didn't help getting burned by a few sellers/buyers and Paypal to the tune of about a grand.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It didn't help getting burned by a few sellers/buyers and Paypal to the tune of about a grand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yer right about PayScrew Brent [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] I came within a red hair of losing a $2K digital camera 2 years ago from an identity theft. All the correspondence was legit but HeyPal wasn't going to cover it. There is NO protection.

If you want a challenge, try to cancel your PayPal account.

My take on Ebay is don't buy or sell any amount you can't walk away from and laugh.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 12:40 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[ QUOTE ]

If you want a challenge, try to cancel your PayPal account...

[/ QUOTE ]

it was SOOOO much fun trying to figure that out!

I kept at it and succeeded!

Next target: eBay itself!

There is no point in doing business there -- it's too dangerous. I nearly got hung with 160 bucks worth of eBay fees because of a [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] <font color="red">PUNK</font> who had stolen someone's identity and bid on a sailboat that I was auctioning.

In the last few days, I have started to think about restarting production of offroad videos. Since eBay was my main marketing tool for video sales, I have reconsidered that activity! [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode