Who has or has done a rotary sammy swap - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Who has or has done a rotary sammy swap

Hello, plannng a rotary swap and would like to know who's got info on it. I've checked most of the sites posted here been searching old posts for like a week now. I just thought it might be nice to put all that info I found here in one post. OK so what I collected was that the 79-85 (12a)is favored due to the transmission length. None of the post have any mention on electrical, and the cooling was up in the air still. Can you guys elaborate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 11:05 AM

Re: Who has or has done a rotary sammy swap

Have you talked to Rotozuk? Greay guy. IN case you gaven't seen his old write-up, here is a link http://rz-products.com/wayne/vwswap/...ozuk/roto.html
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 12:24 PM

Re: Who has or has done a rotary sammy swap

I have an 85 12A engine in my Zuk. I used the 4 speed automatic transmission out of the same RX7 when I did the swap. The 12A and 13B use the same length transmission and the automatic and standard are the same length.

When I did the swap I left the transfer case in it’s original location and fabricated the rear transmission mount and front engine mount. For the front mount I cut out the front support bar on the Zuk and used the front crossmember from the RX7 using the front mount holes on the engine and mounted it to the cross member. On the rear I used 4” channel and bolted it too the frame.

For cooling I used a “NEW” radiator for a 1600 tracker with A/C and Automatic. I also installed a 16” high volume fan that I had to install as a pusher because of limited space between the engine and radiator. I am not very satisfied with this setup however. I have driven it in the mountains in North Carolina with no problems, however when I drive it in deep sand for an extended period, say thirty minutes or more, it will start heating up. I never let it get over 210 without stopping and letting the fan cool it down. I do have the transmission and the engine oil cooler using the cooling system. If these were taken out of the system and had their own cooler, I feel that it would take a significant load off the cooling system.

The drive shaft between the transmission and the transfer case ends up being the slip yoke from the Mazda coupled to replaceable U-joints from an older model RX7 coupled to the Zuk flange. This coupling is not the most desirable method, however it keeps you from having to relocate the transfer case and making up all three driveshafts.

My Zuk has a one-inch body lift to clear the transmission, 6-1 transfer case, SPOA, with 6 leafs in each spring. It has over the top steering with a dropped pitman arm, to clear the oil pan, and Mercedes steering arms. It has a spool in the rear, a locker in the front, and rides on Swamper Boogers, 33x14.00x15 on 10” aluminum wheels. The bumpers front and rear are Shrockworks and the entire inside tub is fiberglass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode