Longfields and gearing - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
JCC

Longfields and gearing

I had decided to go with Toy axles, in fact I purchased a set. Now all this talk about the new Longfields has caused me to rethink the whole setup.
I want to run 33's. I run the Calmini 5.14 gears and have a front locker and rear spool. I have rear springs up front and cj's in the back. I just know I will brake the stock axles if I run 33's so I had started gathering parts for the Toy conversion. I know I will not gain any ground clearance running Toys and 33's, And now I think it would be cheaper to buy the Longfields and Calmini rear axles and still keep the weight down. But I will have to regear my diffs. I have read about the trackers gear but have not heard much about regearing with lower Samurai gears. The cost seems about the same if I buy from a Zuk vendor. Would or should I go with 4.57/4.62 or 5.38/5.13? Thanks for any input. JC [img]images/graemlins/lame.jpg[/img]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1377264-IMG_0665.jpg (117.7 KB, 33 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 02:27 PM
Old Hand

Re: Longfields and gearing

I had the exact same set-up that you are running (RUF, CJs rear, 5.14s, stock 3.73s, 33" boggers). Not a bad set-up if I do say so myself. I was wanting the lower axle gears also, decided to go with the 5.13s. While gathering parts for the swap, I went on a ride and managed to break all four axles.

I've always been a Suzuki purist and have tried my hardest to keep my rig all Suzuki. After breaking over 10 axles while running birfield rings and Warn hubs w/ fuses, there is no other choice---time to go to Toyota. I guess it all depends on what type of terrain you run, but for me, I've held out for too long. I could've already done the swap for what I've spent rounding up Suzuki axles.

The Newfields/Longfields are good axles, I'm sure (they'd damn well better be for over $500) and they are guaranteed for life. BUT, how long is the turnaround if you break one? What if you break 4 or 5?? I know Brent is a great guy and all, but even he might get pissed if he has to send Joe Blow out a new axle every 2 weeks.

Your wanting to spend $529 (at best)for front axles + another $240 for the rear. Toy swap can be done for way cheaper than that. (Search for a thread I made called Toy swap on a budget) If you break an axle you gotta sit out riding until UPS brings you another--if I break one, I can pick up another at any junkyard. You start breaking Toy axles, you can always upgrade them. That's what I'd call "virtually indestructable" on a samurai.

Just trying to help,
Brad.

p.s. look for a new build-up thread starting the end of this month (Toy axles, new suspension, longer wheelbase, and tubing) [img]images/graemlins/warning.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 04:04 PM

I agree with Bradzuki. I did the beefed-up hybrid axles with 33's for a couple of years (no Longfields of course). I never broke anything, but I ALWAYS worried about it and took it easier than I wanted to because of it. I finally got tired of biting my nails and went with Toyota axles (which happen to have Longfileds in them [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] ). I couldn't be happier. The issue of axle weight is a little overplayed in my opinion. The difference between Sami and Yota axles can't be more than 150 pounds I would guess. Probably less?? Anyway, when you take into account the fact that it is un-sprung weight, sitting on the ground, it tends to do you as much good (off-camber) as harm (climbing). Rather than trying to milk the last little bit of utility out of Zuk axles, I would invest my hard-earned dough in a stronger platform like the Yota axles. That is my $0.02
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 08:35 PM
Veteran

Nice rig in the pic. I run toys also and the peace of mind is bliss while out on the trail. One other thing that has not been mentioned yet about running toys is the brake upgrade.Bigger axles and bigger brakes. If you DD the rig at all, the added stopping power will be nice when you need it. The stock brakes aren't enough with 33's, IMHO. Way too much fade from the added reciprocating mass.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 08:47 PM

JCC:

I'm in the same bout.I'm gathering parts for the gear swap
I have the GRSII and don't know about the diff gears

anyone else got some info on sami gears???

A-Joe
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
JCC

I know the Toy swap seems like it can be done cheaper, but when you add new gears,lockers, high steer and wheels, It all adds up fast. I has been said, you can sell current parts to offset the new parts, but I have noticed people having a hard time selling stock Zuk parts.
I don't have any extra money now anyway, just trying to get a plan going. JC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode