Well SH - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Well SH$T

Finally get to drive the "new" zuk today. I was following the manuals instructions to seat the rings when it made a loud clanging sound and died. It never lost oil pressure and was running like a champ the second before this happened. I pushed it home and went to checking things out. It didnt seem like a rod so i checked the valves. They were about a thousandths off but i re adjusted them anyways. Then as i was spinning the engine with a ratchet it stopped spinning. I pulled the plugs and 1 2 and 3's gaps were smashed shut. 1 and 2 were carbon fouled but 3 had been firing. Number 4 plug was fine. I spun it back the other way (counter clockwise) and all pistons are going up and down.

I know ive got to take this damn thing apart AGAIN but does anybody have any idea what might have gone wrong. Im thinking (hoping) a broke ring.

The machine shop screwed me over so it might be something there but im not sure.

Looks like sumthin else jus got in the way of lifting the black zuk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 11:07 PM

Re: Well SH$T

i don't want to be telling you stuff you don't want to hear but i doubt it is a ring. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] good luck with it.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 04:12 AM
Apprentice

Do you have the right plugs. Maybe you got a longer set of plugs or the odd two.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

No the plugs are the same ones that are in my black zuk that is also tbi. Its still "locks" even without the plugs.

Havent had the chance to look at it yet. Im gonna pull the front cover off and remove the timing belt and see if it spins freely. If it does i know its in the head, right?

If it doesnt i guess i get to pull the damn thing and do it all over again. Problem is i already have close to $1500 in the motor. Everything but the block and the head is new.

The noise it made sounded kinda like the starter kicking in while it was running.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 07:18 PM

sounds to me like a broke rod
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 09:00 PM

What exactly did you replace during the rebuild? I believe it is a rebuild because of what you have said, but we need more info. What Machine work was done? Was the crank polished and the rods line bored? I've seen a lot of crazy things come back from the machine shop, please, tell us specifics. -Shawn- [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Alright now that i can finally post im gonna rewrite this for at least the 10th time.

The motor has a "new" .020 crank, new crank bearings new rod bearings, new wrist pins and pistons. The block was bored .020.

The head has new seats and seals.

The plugs WERE the wrong ones. So i now know thats why they were smashed shut.

The motor will run decent but if you turn it by hand it has a slight "catch" about 3/4 of the way around. And its between number 2 and 3 cylinder. Not sure how dad figured that but i had to turn that motor over about a million times with a ratchet.

Im guessing is the thrust bearings. There between those 2 cylinders and thats the only part of the motor i had any doubts about.

Is this a possibilty.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 09:04 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Best idea is to take it apart and mic it out , no guesswork will do you any good . The thrust areas on these cranks are a problem, they get wore down and most cranks should be replaced instead of being turned. How in the world did you get the wrong plugs in it??
Sarge
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

The plugs was a screw up by the parts store. I always buy from them so i didnt think to look.

I guess im gonna tear it back down this weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode