Calmini springs - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Calmini springs

Are Calmini springs any good ? I'm wanting a lifted spring for a SPOA configuration and I've heard that Rancho's are too stiff. How are the Calmini 3 inch springs ? Also, would I need the heavy duty rear spring for spoa or would the regular spring be okay ? This last question also applies to old man emu springs also because I noticed that they are offered in a med. and heavy duty version for the rear and they are also a consideration depending on what kind of feed back I get on the Calmini's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 09:39 PM
Aprentice

Re: Calmini springs

I used to run Ranchos in the spoa configuration, thay flexed well and can not be considered stiff. If you were running them in a spua rig, yes they would seem stiff. By putting springs above the axle you need a lifted or heavy duty springs to help you with axle wrap and fatigue issues due to more axle and spring movement up and down and sideways. [img]images/graemlins/codger.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 10:19 PM
Old Hand

save your money and use yj's you can get used ones for cheap and the end cost w/ the Trail tough kit will only be a little more then the calmini springs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 07:57 AM Thread Starter

I understand this but, I'm looking for feedback on the specific questions I had on the calmini and ome springs at this time but I do appreciate the idea.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 03:17 PM

First let's detirmine what you are going to do with you'r Zuke. Trail only or combo D/D & trail.
If you are building a combo ride OME are the best for ride and flex, but a little to pricy for us who are on a buget. Caliminis lift springs have a military wrap. This makes the springs a bit stiffer to prevent spring wrap with an SPOA. On the street they are a bit to stiff for most peoples taste and on the trail could be a bit flexier.
The best riding and flexing rigs I've seen are built not bought. YJ springs are an option, but then they wern't to my liking and not the most streetable springs for a Zuke. Since my rig is my daily driver I opted for CJ front springs in the rear and stock Sammi rear springs up front. I am very pleased with the street ride and they do what I need them to do on the trail.
To accomplish this type of setup you will need a kit for both the CJs and RUF. Got mine at www.northcoastoffroad.com
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 08:44 PM

The OME's will not hold up in spring over form. Also, the warranty is void if run this way. Calmini offers a spring over combo with new springs (6.5" lift). I'd call them up and order just the springs that come with that kit.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

I called Calmini and they told me that none of their springs are designed to be ran in a spoa config. and that if I did, the warranty would be void and the springs would not hold up very long. Brent at Trail Tough confirmed the fact that no springs that are currenty available will hold up very long when ran spoa. The good news is that Brent says that they are in the process of developing a set of springs that are designed to be ran spoa. The springs will provide 2 inches of lift, have reversed eyes, and mentioned something else that was to prevent spring wrap but I can't remember exactly what he said. He said the springs are not available yet but will be in the near future. I think I'll wait on them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode