Convertible or Hardtop? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 02:55 PM
Gimpy

Convertible or Hardtop?

Hey all! Long time since I have been here. I have been gone for a while, due to numerous things. I was also forced to create a new account, since for some reason my name was no longer on here.

Anyway, I have a question for ya'll. My convertible body has seen better days. It is rusting pretty badly, and also has its fair share of battle scars (like the parking lot incident when some old grandpa drove dead into the drivers side door, or when I hit a deer which sent me into the ditch and onto my top). But sitting in my yard here I have a nice tintop body that was from California, so it has no rust. I just want your opinions on whether I should keep the body I have on it now, or if I should switch over to my hardtop body? The thing I worry about with the hardtop is that it may be top heavy? I wheel my rig hard, and the last thing I need is to damage this body due to it being too top heavy. Thanks in advance for your opinions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 08:28 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Convertible or Hardtop?

Use the hardtop body. A hardtop model weighs 35 lbs more than a soft top. If all of that weight difference is up top it is not really significant.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 10:14 PM
Old Hand

Why waste a clean cali body, on a rig you plan on beating up. Use the beat up body to beat. and use the clean body for a future restoration, or milder rig. keep in mind clean bodies are becoming harder and harder to get. Here in the mid-west a clean body can get top dollar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 11:32 PM
Keyboard Implanted

My first rig was a tin top and I damage that one a lot more than my current wheeler which I have wheeled a lot more and a lot harder. Part of the reason of my damage had to do with visibility, or lack of it ( I honestly can attain some of that damage to driving ability and set-up also) but I crunched the top rear corners a bunch before I had ever rolled it. My soft top rig I don't have that problem. But you have a great tintop so why not use it? I would if I were in your situation.

I'll go against the grain and say there are still a ton of sammies in the US that aren't being wheeled making availability still fairly easy. There will always be something out there to build so don't be worried about rashing up a "perfect body." I'm not even that concerned about finding a first gen Mustang fastback and those are 20 years older... they are out there... I just have to look harder.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 10:02 AM

Have to agree with Brent, there's a ton of zukes just waiting to be "found". Go look around the Southwest all you northeast rustbucket guys! They're there. The question is what will you pay?

The original question was is it top heavy...a tintop has to be a bit more top heavy than a softtop, 35 lbs seems light but it could be.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 01:57 AM
Can't Get Enough

[ QUOTE ]
The original question was is it top heavy...a tintop has to be a bit more top heavy than a softtop, 35 lbs seems light but it could be.

[/ QUOTE ]

The 35 lbs weight difference figure came from the original owners manual to a 1988.5 hardtop that listed the weight for both types.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode