engine swap or repair/emissions/long - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 11:43 PM
racegt6

engine swap or repair/emissions/long

Our 88.5 Sami had not been able to test for emissions (Illinois) because it was "grossly underpowered" and/or did not produce enough exhaust. After multiple attempts, it occurred to me that a) the Sami is too light to drive the huge dyno rollers and b)the tail pipe is too small to accomodate the big funnel shaped exhaust collector. I dropped the pressure in the rear tires, added a whole lot of weight to the rear and had my heavy duty wife sit in the passenger seat during the test and insisted that they fiddle with the exhuast until they got a decent fit.

Now it was testable, but failed! My wife and I were notified that our driver's licenses will be suspended effective 1-20-05! Hydrocarbons too high. Timing is at 8 BTDC, idles perfectly at 800 rpm and runs very strong.

However, I remember that compression was more than 10% different in cyl. #2. I'm thinking bad exhaust valve. How difficult is it to get parts and fix? Am I better off upgrading engine? What is the easiest and affordable fix?
Is it possible that there is something else I can look at to reduce high hydrocarbon output? This thing runs smooth, I had premium and "emissions passer" stuff in the tank at the time.

Am I wrong in assuming that weak compression will kick up hydrocarbons to the point that I really should not bother with anything else until it is fixed? Affordable engine upgrade suggestions?

I'll do a leakdown Thursday or Friday to get more info but time is running out and we're getting 10" of snow tomorrow! TIA, Charlie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 03:39 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: engine swap or repair/emissions/long

Do a search here for smog or emmissions and there is an aftermarket additive that you add to the fuel to aid in passing... don't remember the name of the product off-hand

L8R
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 04:25 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Auto stores sell Guaranteed to Pass or a similar name. Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 05:44 PM

put a new Catylitic conveter on it
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 11:11 PM

If only HC is too high, engine is running rich...too much fuel. Does it idle smooth? Valves too tight? Air filter plugged?

Last resort...you could create a vacuume leak the the tech would not detect just so you can get your license back and buy some time to fix it right.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 12:31 AM
Way Outta Control

A vacuum leak will make it worse if it's just hgh HC. If CO is waaaay up too, then maybe --.

Add a quart of denatured alcohol to the fuel tank. It's the same stuff that all the so called "pass" stuff is without the perfumes to change the smell.

As suggested a new CAT will burn off the extra HC - even if it's not required.

Put a new plug in that hole - or better yet - all of them. Do not use the aftermarket trash plugs - splits, plats etc. Use the plugs originally called out in the owners manual. The engineers designed the heads around a specific plug -- use that!

If you have huge tires on it, put smaler diameter ones on it - that increases the engine speed and torque to the wheels, putting the engine in a faster mode and lower emissions - no longer lugging. Running it in a lower gear is legal and would eliminate the slipping/weight problem too.

Make sure the exhaust pipes are in good condition -- get rid of the "do nothing" flared end of the pipe - the inspection probe must be able to see the exhaust, not suck in outside air alongside it. It's possible the test center has a probe that's broken off (illegal for them) and cannot reach in far enough.

Find another smog test station with a tech that knows something - they should have told you these things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode